Vomiting every night, what's wrong with me

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I've been vomiting every night for the past week. I'll go to sleep and a few hours later I'll wake up and have to throw up. This happened to me about a month ago and a month before that. What's going on?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alex911

Do you eat late at night?..if so what do you eat? do you have any other symptoms?....

• Posted

Hello,

My daughter has positional vomiting. It happens no matter if at day or night, as soon as not being straight up sitting/standing. Total puzzle, as docs like to call it. (very helpful for us)

So first things first:

do you ALWAYS induce vomiting by position, no matter which time of day?

(My daughter starts about 10-15min after lying down, nausea get's more and more until full blown vomiting, not reflux)

Test yourself, if you can, during the day, lie down, what happens.

Do you feel dizziness or not?

Now, positional vomiting can be

vertigo (we miss dizziness, so no vertigo), or

MALS (median arcuate ligament syndrome, diaphragm cuts in more into coeliac trunk blood vessel when lying than when standing or sitting upright, less bloodflow to stomach and intestines).

I personally also would like to have an MRI of head to see posterior fossa, if something was squeezing the vomiting center, Chiari or spinal cord. (have braces, have to wait)

Then, there is something else.

You can start vomiting in the night, if you get a

low blood sugar.

So if you don't eat much in the evening or exercise or excess insulin output for whatever reason, you can go too low with sugar and cause vomiting

(THE reason to never ever send children to bed without dinner, it is NO punishment ever)

I believe you it is vomiting and not reflux.

I have to stress this out to docs all the time. ....

We know what heartburn or reflux is and the difference to full violent (very complex) vomiting.

Saliva builds up prior (to protect teeth) and it is retching and retching actively in complicated muscle contractions.

For my daughter it doesn't matter if her stomach or duodenum contain food, she retches all left processed food soup up and otherwise every hour dry with much saliva. Very very draining and hardly sleep.

I have her blood supply via doppler ultrasound assessed soon, but have to travel continents to get that done as not many are good in diagnosis of MALS and the likes.

(her blood sugar is always normal when she vomits in the night, you might get that tested first please)

All the best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.