Vomiting up green vomit

Posted , 9 users are following.

I went to hospital today with severe upper right quadrant pain. It was the same type of pain I had a few months ago when I got admitted with pancreatitis. They did blood tests which came back normal and sent me home with oral morphine which I haven't had before. I have been in pain since last night. I just vomited up a bunch of green-looking vomit. Anyone know if this is serious? I am supposed to be having my gallbladder removed tomorrow.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I would ring the hospital and ask !

Hope your op goes well x

• Posted

I suggest you contact the surgeon's office if possible.  You may need to return to the hospital--might be that you indeed have pancreatitis, but your blood tests didn't reflect it when they were drawn.  

Best of luck to you!  Please let me know how you get on!

• Posted

The vomit was green because it contained bile. It's very common with gallbladder issues but could possibly affect your surgery. Only the surgeon can tell. When you get to hospital you need to tell them as soon as possible.

Hope all goes well tomorrow.

• Posted

I'm not sure the night after my gallbladder removal I vomited up green as well. I would call doc to inform them.

• Posted

Hey I had my gallbladder removed 4 weeks ago. I started vomiting bile Friday and ended up going to the walk in clinic above a&e, whilst there I had an attack of pain very severe and started vomiting worse and was green! I was later admitted to stay in the urgent ward as I have a high infection in my blood which can lead to sepsis... I was given and still am been given intravenous antibiotics and on morphine and tramodol for the pain. With having tests it has become clear there are stones in the common bile duct! I'm having the procedure today ERCP to remove the blockage, it comes with risks as every operation but in at higher risk if I leave the stones and in too much pain. Wish me luck! Good luck to you and hope you get answers

• Posted

I had jaundice and was nearly in septic shock. I was catheterised, on IV fluids and antibiotics and also oxygen and spent a week in hospital. I had two ERCPs but the stones in my gallbladder and bile duct were too large and numerous to dislodge via ERCP. Ifoir months later I ended up having open surgery but it was not as bad as I expected. I found ERCP very uncomfortable but not painful.

You are quite right that leaving the stones in is dangerous.

Good luck with your procedure and post how it went.

• Posted

Hi

I was admitted to hospital with upper right quadrant pain, the nurse gave me two shots of morphine, I can honestly say, I had never felt so bad in my life, I couldn’t stay awake, every time I talked to anyone, my head dropped and I nodded of for 2 secs, this kept happening, I couldn’t sleep through the night, the pain in my upper right quadrant was getting worse, far worse after the morphine, I felt like I was falling off my bed, and in the morning I had the worst nausea ever, I vomited up 2 lots of bile, what a relief!! . I think vomiting up bile in your case could have been due to the morphine, but could also be because of your gallbladder problem, the hospital never did find the cause of my pain, I’ve had two gallbladder scans, nothing showed up. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.