VRT question please

Posted , 6 users are following.

Is it okay to do the home VRT eye exercises if your baseline dizziness is bothered by something, like

cleaning, working out, etc. that makes for more than usual dizziness?

Or should one return to baseline level, before doing the home exercises ?

thanks

Pooli

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I do them all the time when I feel a little setback . My neuro-otologist told me that it would probably be something that I would have to do on occasion when my brain de-compensated.

• Posted

thank you kindly for your reply

Im just at the start of vrt so i must do each day i just wonder if i should avoid certain movements that bring symptoms on or is it the exercise that brings it on kind of a guessing g game still for me Its been an interesting tho at times annoying journey so far im just glad it gets better

• Posted

your exercises will retrain your brain. when i was having difficulty, i would avoid fast movements at home work ect. for survival. if someone called my name-i was i trouble because you generally just swing your head when that happens. the PT asked me not to take the medicine when possible while doing PT and exercises. but you need what you need. i would leave PT and my eyes would hurt and droop and i was dizzy and confused so i would then take the medicine. you do what is best. the exercises are very important for your recovery. you will realize you may not be able to follow simple instructions and moving your eyes or head takes a lot of concentration. as time goes by, it gets better. i am now working on balancing with my eyes closed. huge progress. take the medicine if you need it. it may clear your head when you need a clear head. then you taper it.

• Posted

I can relate about not swinging the head when not necessary, and I too am avoiding things that provoke the dizzy monster, such as certain household chores where I am leaning head over heels, like mopping the floor. etc.

So, does one avoid things even if having the VRT or push through? or just take it each day. Funny I was never ever sick, so this is very weird for me, having to baby myself

and I do need rest, some days more than others.

I will take your advise on the antivert, acutally Bonine over the counter, take when needed, and even the ENT did say it is okay now if I need, but do not overdo the med

I do the basic eye excercises, the VRT gave me a real wacky one, putting my finger up and criss crossing head and finger, too much for me, so he said taper off, try again, dont make myself over dizzy.

Thank you so much, your info is so valuable and appreciated

Pooli

• Posted

you need the rest because your brain is working overtime. so when you are done for the day- i know i would just crash. you have to baby yourself. no one else will. i had to stop household chores. even cooking dinner was a big deal. no mopping, sweeping, dusting, and of course absolutely no grocery shopping. i had to tell my husband he had to do it. all. emtyping the dishwasher-the bending up and down. forget it. you dont realize how many things you do that moves your head or body up and down or sideways until this happens. i too had no real history of being ill. so this was a big change for my family. you have to learn to say no i cant do it. the more PT you do, the better you will feel eventually. following an X on the wall at PT took so much concentration. it is like a brain injury. i too was taking the Bonine. i would leave PT and take one immediately. its very scary when you cant follow a finger or X -which is so simple but it isnt with this. tell people not to call your name-so you dont swing your head. i forget- did you look up symptoms for vestibular migraine? if you havent please do- i am only better because i asked to try treatment for this- so many people get misdiagnosed. it seems the main diagnosis is vestibular nueritis. and my doctor also told me that a person could have a couple issues with vestibular system. please check out the symptoms if you havent. i am on norotriptiline and i feel it has saved my life. rest as much as you need. and dont apologize to people because you are sick. i was at work then realized why am i apologizing???

• Posted

My drs did say VN after all the tests, I feel secure that it is a correct diagnosis ccording to what I am experiencing

Its only been a couple of months, I know I have to be patient and that time will heal it

Funny you mentioned about having the others in the household bend down to do the dishwasher, etc

I have a new rule here

Where ever something lands, that's its new home

If something falls, that's where it stays.

I won't bend over and reach, pick up stuff too much and provoke the dizzy monster, when I know I have to leave the home to go somewhere special for the day.

I leave some house stuff to nightime, when I know I am going to sleep soon, same as some yoga poses I miss doing

Otherwise as for housework

I just leave things alone, unless its gooey food that the ants can get to

• Posted

hi do you have the spinning Sensation all just feel like things are moving?the audiology gave me these vestibular exercises to do do them 3 times a day .Have you seen a ENT? image

• Posted

Yes, I did see the ENT in late Aug

Had MRI. normal and VNG showing some loss of function in one ear

Doc says its VNeuritis

ENT sent me to VRT

Doing similar eye exercises as you kindly showed me. I think I am doing too much

some days, which is probably not good.

As for symptoms initially and now, but easier to handle.. There is

No big spinning, more like lightheading and off kilter

Working hard at this, glad to hear when people say it gets better.

thanks for your reply

Pooli

• Posted

do them exercises ever day. If you feel like you are swaying on the spot.vestibular exercises stand on the spot with your eyes open with your feet together look straight head count to 30 then do the same with your eyes closed repeat this standing on a cushion twice a day in the morning and evening..how do you feel when you are in supermarkets? do you feel wores ?

• Posted

Funny I never cared for supermarkets or malls and even moreso now.

I just never did like crowded brightly lit noisy places, this was like a prelude

to the VN. I would actually leave the cart and go out the door if too busy with few

cashiers open, but please dont tell anyone that lol

So now I just go when its less bothersome, on offpeak hours.

• Posted

what are you like walking in the dark l bet you feel wores?

• Posted

not particularly

was on the boardwalk last night walking, no real difference from before the VN and now

but I am doing the closeing eye excercises regardless though I dont really know why they have me do that, but i am

• Posted

hi victoria- i have no night vision. my eyes still wont adjust in the dark. i am doing PT with my eyes closed now. but its getting dark early now. and its one of my left over symptoms thst the doc says will go away as we increase my meds. what are your symptoms in the dark??

• Posted

try doing the head exercises standing on something sponge. Have a look at this .image

• Posted

thank you victoria. i am actually doing this at PT now. standing on this squishy block, then balancing one leg up with eyes closed. i have made huge progress but have noticed my sight in the dark is just not there and will not adjust like it used to- very strange symptom.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.