Vulva biopsy - should the site be healing purple?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I've had a vulva biopsy done about 5 weeks ago. The site of the biopsy no longer hurts, doesn't hurt but it's healing a dark purple colour and feels a little raised. Darker than the abnormality I was referred for in the first place!

I haven't had a letter confirming results but was told when I rang up that it had been a benign mole.

I don't know if I'm being impatient but I expected it to heal back to the colour of the skin around it.

Can anyone help put my mind at ease?

Thanks you x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I've got scarring on my vulva from reconstructive operations and it's healed a deep purple colour. The Dr said that was the colour it would go due to blood supply or something.

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to reply!

I was worried that something might have been missed when he removed it and devoped into something else.

I'm sorry to hear you've had to have reconstructive surgery. That must have been very hard to go through. Hope you are OK now x

• Posted

Hi caz, sorry to hear you're having such problems.  I had a benign mole removed a few years ago (not on my vulva, but on my arm).  It has left a permanent small red spot, twice the size of the original mole, that has healed but never changed back to the colour of the surrounding skin.  My doctor told me that is to be expected, as it's the site of a small scar due to the removal.  I think it was a bit silly now for them to remove my mole, since the effect was the same!  

But at least you know it's not abnormal to have mole removals heal to a slightly darker colour than the surrounding skin.

Minamii

• Posted

Hi Mimamii,

I agree it does seem odd, given its now darker in that area than when I first went, but the gyno said it was better to remove so I went with his advice.

And Google doesn't really have a set answer about how it should heal. I was a bit distraught after I'd had it done, I didn't really think to ask the Dr questions about how it would heal afterward and I wasn't given a follow-up apt. I tend to overthink as well, which doesn't help as mind then worries about all the worse case scenarios.

Thank you for sharing your own experience, I really do appreciate it. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.