Vulva burning and numbness, no other symptoms

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi! I really hope someone will be able to put me out of my misery. I'm terrified that something might be wrong with me or that I might have an STD.

I have not been sexually active for a year. My symptoms started a few months ago, with a numbness that comes and goes on my left labia majora. It also sometimes felt like things were too tight in my pants and that this might have made the numbness worse somehow, like something is being compressed. I had some minor sensitivity around my vagina as well, which seems to coincide with the tight pants feeling.

However, today I experienced a frightening new symptom. I now have an intense burning sensation on my left labia where the numbness usually occurs. It is mostly localized to a specific spot. This sensation comes and goes, and it almost feels like I should have a razor rash down there as well, and as if warm water might aggravate or soothe it. It somewhat feels as if my pubic hair are stabbing me there, or if someone has sprayed deodorant on broken skin. Apart from this feeling which has been coming and going today, I have absolutely no other symptoms. I do have a slight discharge but this is normal for me. I really hope someone will be able to shed light on this. It has calmed down somewhat after I have bathed and put on loose pajama pants without underwear, but I still feel it now and then. Anyone have any idea what this might be?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I wish I could help you. I have terrible itching for 2 years and change. I tested negative for all infections. I sometimes feel absolutely hopeless and my life has zero quality. Tried eliminating foods... nothing. I wish you the BEST OF LUCK and hope your issues will soon be resolved!!!
  • Posted

It may be the start of vulvodynia. You need to find my post “how I cured my vulvodynia” where you can see my story and the stories of other women about the cause of their vulvodynia and how they cured it.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply! Is it normal for vulvodynia symptoms to come and go? Today I wore looser pants and I experienced no symptoms at all. Towards the end of the day I started to get a discharge, and it's as if the moisture caused a temporary rash around my vagina and buttocks. The rash is already better after a few hours of loose pajama pants only, though, and it wasn't really painful (just uncomfortable). I have also noticed a hard pimple right above my clitoris today. It does not hurt at all. I am just so scared of herpes but I'm guessing these aren't your typical herpes symptoms.

• Posted

Vulvodynia can be provoked (the pain comes after, for example, exercising, riding a bike / horse, sex, wearing tight jeans), unprovoked (is present all the time) or both (is present all the time and gets worse when provoked). The way to test for provoked is to touch around the vulva area with a cotton bud and if this touch is experienced as pain in a certain area then the skin in that area has Vulvodynia. Are you having sex? Does the pain come after you have sex?

However, the fact that the discharge is irritating you sounds like some kind of infection. The discharge I get with thrush always stings me and makes me red and sore. Have you been tested for infections? It might be a good idea to see a dr and describe your symptoms.

• Posted

I have not been tested for infections. My symptoms have luckily totally cleared up shortly after my first post. I have noticed that my tingling labia actually improves if I shift in my seat or if I walk around a bit. I have however experienced the oddest sensation down there the other day, like an ice cold feeling on my left labia and towards the right of my perineum. This might be TMI, but I have just showered and I'm sitting with a towel on my bed and I can feel this intense coldness down there as if cool air is blowing on moist skin.

I have also been religiously taking feminine health probiotics for a month and my discharge is much less! I still get it but it's manageable.

However, I now have a tiny pimple on the same labia (left). I only noticed it by chance last night and it did feel sensitive in a different way than pimples usually feel, but only when I poke at it. Today it seems like the pimple has dried out a bit (it is less pronounced) and it is not painful at all. There is no ulceration or anything, just a slight redness around the site. I don't know why I'm so afraid of this being herpes and I'm hoping someone can put my nerves at ease. I just entered a new relationship and I would hate for it to end because of herpes. 

• Posted

I've had similar symptoms. My left labia majoris falls asleep at random times. I've also developed a slight tingling/burning sensation in the same are towards the thigh and the perineum same side. Unfortunately this problem has continued for me. I was told it could be pudendal neuralgia caused by herpes by a neurologist, but then the test for herpes simplex type 1 and 2 came back negative and I only tested positive for herpes zoster. After that I never saw her or another doctor about this again. I've had this for a couple of years now. It has been a progressive issue. I also had a pimple like thing at the start of this, but never got that again.

How are you doing today? Did you get an explanation to your symptoms?

• Posted

i am having the same thing right now. did you find out what it was? mine is on the left side too

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.