Vulva itch for months

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I am 21 and currently i have been having this itch and swelling on my vulva for about 4 months now. I feel really depressed because of my condition. I have seen 2 GPs previously and both diagnosed me with yeast infection. I was given 2 rounds of yeast infection medication. Then i was referred to a gynae as my condition was not improving. She told me it was might be due to ezema and gave me cream that contains corticosteriod. The cream helps alot but when i wash it away, the itch will be back. On days, the itch was bearable and sometimes it will suddenly flare up. I have difficulties sitting and walking as it makes me so uncomfortable. I tried changing my diet, underwear, wear loose clothing but my symptoms still persists. It is worse when my period is over and dies down a little after a few days.

I really want to get my life back and just wondering if it is alright to have sex (the itch and swelling is around my vaginal opening)? And is there anyway to make me feel comfortable when walking ? I do not want to use the steriod cream frequently as i am aware that it has a thinning effect on the skin.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You can use a lidocaine cream to numb the pain/itch. You could even have a nerve blocking injection down there. I had a similar problem and was diagnosed with vulvodynia. You are right not to overuse steroids as they can stop working and make you worse. Do yoI wash with a non soap product? Do you use perfumed toilet paper or perfumed washing powder. I made my condition worse whilst on hols as I used an unknown brand of loo paper and my vulva has a bad reaction! !
    • Posted

I wash it with water. I was advised previously to use feminine wash by one of the doctors but i stopped as another doctor told me that water is the safest. I also used soap that is fragrance free for my body and clothes. I do use toilet paper and tissue papers to pat dry but they are fragrance free as well. May i know if you get the itch/pain after the cream wears off and have to apply it often to suppress it?
  • Posted

Ask about tacrolimus smile it's a cream that has really really helped me and I was in a very similar situation to you, I used it for a few months, and my problem is better! I use it every now and then if I feel a flare but that is very rare! I can still have sex/swim/wall which I couldn't really before!!

Drs might be hesitant to prescribe it as thee was a study that suggested it might be linked to cancer, but!! It was a very small study and not a definite link, and would only apply to long long term use over large body areas.. It's up to you but I found it worth it smile x

• Posted

Thank you! smile Will ask my doctor about the cream. Hopefully the cream will be able to help me as much as it did for you. The itch is driving me crazy😭

• Posted

PLEASE READ THIS LADIES!

Please have your doctor test you for Lichen Sclerosus!!

I suffered for years with the itch and medications that didn't work.

Saw a new dr 2 years ago. One look and she knew immediately what

it was. Prescribed Clobetasol. 05% ointment...miracle cure. LS is an

autoimmune disease that affects the tissue of the vulva and

surrounding areas. No cure but it is very manageable with the

proper treatment! I now use my ointment maybe once a month.

Can now live a pain free itch free life! Wish you all the best of luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.