Vulva lichen schlerosus steroid ointments to use

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had ls for ages tried clobetasone and mometasone ointments but too strong for delicate area ! It cleared up by using hydrocortisone one per cent ointment plus spraying daily with emollin barrier spray took 9 months to heal so there's no quick fix plus am aware it can return !!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Thank you, Mary, for your advice. 

I also found clobetasol steroid ointment was too  strong for delicate skin of the vulvar area. I use Vaseline as a barrier which I’ve been successful with. I notice you said you have lichen sclerosus.  I’ve been diagnosed with VLP - vulvar lichen planus. What is the difference? Been battling this for 9 months.  Thank you for your reply and blessings to you on this journey’s recovery. 

• Posted

Hi there iv got LP the same as you the different is LS the skin found white and is much thicker were as LP it's red  without the white patches as far as I can gather 

• Posted

Yes my skin was white n thick mega dry n sore the emollin is really vaseline but in a lovely spray so no need to rub it in glad to share with you all my mouth is more pain full than lady bits were !! X

• Posted

Oh no, Mary, you have it in your mouth too? I asked in another discussion group on this forum if this usually happens. If you have it in or on one part of your body, it will go to another. I’m very worried about this. So sorry. 
    • Posted

Yes it my mouth started when my vulva cleared ! Also have itchy spots on back top of buttock area on front ribs and round lower legs/shins it's great fun ! Had to shave my hair as scalp was covered in red patches but I kept slathering on coconut oil and it's cleared it almost anyway I'm going to see a dermatologist tomorrow let you know how it goes I've had so much stress last few years I think that's why my body is taking a pounding also I tested positive for Epstein Barr virus am convinced it's causing this !

• Posted

I wax just reading this discussion can you please tell me what Epstein Barr virus is I've never heard of this 

• Posted

It's what causes glandular fever but lays dormant in body and reactivates if you get ill or run down belongs to herpes virus family I googled is ebv linked to LP and answer is yes lots of medical studies have been done please Google this I also read medical medium book by Anthony William it all makes sense to me that's why I'm trying to cure myself with anti viral foods n suppliments that put the ebv back into dormant mode if you take steroids or immune suppressants it just feeds the virus and makes you more ill !!

• Posted

Epstein-Barr virus causes mononucleosis which I had as a teenager. I know this virus stays in your system. Could this possibly be the cause of getting lichen planus?  Sorry to learn your LP is in other parts of your body. Hope your stress lightens and you can get relief. 

If anyone out there has knowledge about Epstein-Barr virus possibly coming out years later as LP,  please respond. Thank you. 

• Posted

Horray for hydrocortisone ointment! Glad it worked for you. smile

Any port in the storm at this stage of our Lichen journey. 

• Posted

This sounds helpful. I’m going to try it whilst waiting for my dermatology appointment. Hope you’re still doing ok. Thanks for posting. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.