Vulva Symptoms Ongoing, Unsure what to think!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there,

For the past 6-12 months I have had itching on my vulva only on the left side, stupidly I brushed it off. Last month before I started my period I had some dark blood discharge which prompted me to look down below.

What I seen was some dark spots, in the skin not raised, and are quite little.

Also there seems to be an inclusion cyst and some gathering of small white blister like lumps scattered around as well, all of this on the left side only. I went to my family physician, and his nurse examined and did a swab which came back negative. She prescribed some itch cream which has not helped.

I've scoured the internet and am unable to find anyone or anything with symptoms the same as mine.

I have a pap next week, but am wondering if anyone has any insight into what this may mean?

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

Hi, if you are in the U.K., Google vulva dermatologists and a list will come up. I would go to your GP and ask for a referral to one. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hey Nocole.  I had a similar problem to you (I'm 55) and I had all sorts of diagnoses from various doctors and nothing they prescribed helped.  Then I came down with gastro-enteritis and couldn't eat for around 5 days: and the horrible painful itching downstairs cleared right up!  That was my first clue that I was probably sensitive to some food or other.  I did an exclusion diet, slowly re-introducing different foods, and I found that one of the main triggers to the itch was whenever I ate potato!  I'd never even had a problem with it before, but it seems that as I've gotten older, I can no longer tolerate it.  I cut it out of my diet entirely, along with it's plant "cousins" - I found I get a painful itch if I eat any of the Solonacea family, including: potato, chilli, tomato, eggplant, capsicum (I believe they're also called bell peppers?) and tobacco. If I occassionally accidentally eat one of this diverse family, I find that an anthistamine can relieve the symptoms now I'm not overwhelmed by eating them every day.  I hope this helps you - best of luck!

Minamii 

• Posted

Thanks for the response. I have an appt coming up on Thursday, will see what doctor says. But am definitely going to try cutting out foods and see if that helps. Food can certainly cause a lot of problems!

I'm glad you found the answer for your problem, it isn't fun!! Thanks again

• Posted

Hi nicole. This sounds very familiar to me. Exactly 12 mths ago I started to get itchy on my left labia minora. I am 40. Shortly after I started to get a tiny little lump then another. Eventually I got a third further down which looked like a pimple with a white head. My local nurse sent me for a biopsy and I then found out I had vin 3. This is Not cancer but has to be removed in case it develops later on. I suffered terrible pain below cos I waited too long to get it seen to in the beginning but once I had the procedure to have it removed it was such a relief. Please take time and insist on a biopsy to ur gp. If i can answer any more questions I would be happy too. Chin up
    • Posted

Hi Nicola,

Thanks for your input here. About 5 months ago I had one little flat red spot on my vulva. I didn't think too much of it at the time and it appeared to disappear. I must say two years ago I was diagnosed with Lichen Sclerosus by biopsy (I was complaining of vulva itch and I got the gyne at the time to do a colposcopy on my vulva). So I've been treating this area in general. 4 weeks ago today I had a hemorroid and skin tag removed (anal area). The doctor advised me he didn't send them to pathology which really upset me at the time. After this operation I was on different creams etc. 2-3 days later I came out with the same flat red sores on my vulva and a couple on the outside larger area towards the legs. I panicked and thought I must have an STD! Didn't go to the doctor at the time and I googled all the STDs and this doesn't look like any of them! It's been 4 weeks now and I think some days they are becoming paler.

Can I ask did yours come and go? Are they more red or purple (mine are red)? How long did you have them before you had them treated and can you tell me did they do a colposcopy on your vulva? 

They don't really itch much. I do get the odd tingle and just assumed this was my LS.

I did have one that was also like a pimple with a white head too which is now red, 

i know I have high risk HPV which causes VIN as I had precancerous cells and a hysterectomy 4 years ago.

Are there any good sites you can recommend to look at? I can't get into my dermatologist now for 4 days. Your post has prompted me to book as I was just (crazily) ignoring it. Thank you. 

• Posted

Hi. Can u let me know if you have received my reply cos something happened my phone and I wrote a response
    • Posted

Nicola - Thanks for your reply. I'm seeing my doctor again this week as they keep brushing me off. I've gotten a friend to take a few pictures of my vulva and it seems as if More of the dark ( black or brown) spots are increasing. I've also had an increase of clear non smelling discharge.

There also seems to the what I can only describe as a white patch of skin that looks like a zipper.... very weird.

At this point I jus the need relief from the itch and worry!!

• Posted

Hi Nicola, no sadly I have not. Any chance you can repost please? Many thanks
    • Posted

Sorry about that. My symptoms first started last October with a tiny red lump and then a 2nd one appeared. These were red. I had swabs done in February cos I never went to the doc before this. They came back clear so then I had a biopsy at end of June in which time a pimple like spot appeared. These were getting very sore by now but then I seen a consultant and he did a large vulvar excision on September 1St.
    • Posted

The relief I got straight after the procedure was amazing. Before it peeing was soooooo painful and even taking a lukewarm bath was painful. I just turned 40 in June and have 4 yr old twin boys so not even been able to play with them was heartbreaking. My consultant told me that persistent itching can also be a sign of vin
    • Posted

Thanks, did the dermatologist or gynaecologist do the biopsy? Did the spots come and go? Some days I think mine lessen in size but others I'm not so sure. I see them best with a magnifying mirror. I've booked in with a dermatologist tomorrow but not sure they have any experience in this area.

• Posted

Best of luck and let me know how u get on. This flipping problem is so annoying unless the gp's really step up and listen and do the appropriate steps needed... I mean who wants to be going around been sore or trying to have a sneaky scratch....

• Posted

It was a walk in clinic that I had mine done but my gp gave me the number to contact him. It wasn't too bad having it done. I went back to work for a double shift afterwards. My little bumps just got a bit bigger and even though i would get a little urge to scratch I couldn't cos it would have been too painful. Maybe you could suggest to the dermatologist about a biopsy and then take it from there. But DONT give up.

• Posted

Thanks, I'll ask the dermatologist tomorrow and see what she says. I'll let you know 😊

• Posted

I'm not really much further forward. The doctor advised that I'm allergic to the cream they gave me for the hemorroid recovery and I'm all inflamed. She blamed the stress of this on why the HPV has activated and said they are HPV lesions and they should subside in a week. If thy haven't gone in a week I will find a different doctor and insist on a biopsy.

• Posted

That's shocking... My lesions never disappeared and only got more painful for every week I had the damn things...

• Posted

Since I've changed the cream the lesions have just about disappeared. I'll keep a close eye and if any come back find a new doctor for a biopsy. Thanks 

• Posted

Hi Nicola i was looking for a more positive post having been told the other day that I have vin as I have a raised itchy red area on the labia majora. I am waiting for an appointment for a biopsy but have already been told that it will have to be removed. What did the procedure to have it removed involve and how long was recovery please? 
    • Posted

Hi. I had a large labia minora removal and it was no problem at all. They cut away nearly all of that area and then put stitches in and a special glue over the stitches. I had NO pain after I had the procedure and was back at work exactly 2weeks later. The drive home was a bit uncomfortable but no pain. The procedure only takes roughly 30 minutes. Hope this helps you.
    • Posted

Thank you - that's encouraging! I'm driving myself mad searching on the internet, I really should stop looking! 

• Posted

Well I've just had my procedure done on 1St of September so it's still very fresh in my head.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.