Vulval lichen simplex

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone else got this? I've just been diagnosed after 18 months of persistent itching, but there doesn't seem to be as much information on it as on the other lichens.

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi!

I was diagnosed with this two months ago after two months of thinking that I had reocurrent external candida infections I was given betametasone cream and it worked for about three weeks but then I tapered it very soon and I had a flare the dermatologist then `prescribed an antihistaminic and it helped for another 15 days but I got a new flare last week and now she has prescribed me protopic cream  that I have just used yesterday and today. I am taking two antihistamic pills daily I do not have much itch today externally but looks as I have started to itch more internally.How much have you been having symptoms and what have you tried?

Does your symptoms come and go ? Hioping we can find relief soon.   

• Posted

Hi,

So I was misdiagnosed with Lichen Sclerosus first, so tried Clobaderm, which helped for three weeks and then just irritated it all more. I've not had a day without itching since september 2014, and I wake up every night with it. I've tried emu oil, emuaid, coconut oil, vaseline, nappy rash cream, tea tree oil and cream, witchhazel etc etc, changing detergent, 100% cotton knickers, not wearing knickers, and nothing has helped. anti histimines haven't helped either. I'm on my fifth day of using elocon cream, prescribed by the dermatologist, but so far it hasn't helped. I'm so fed up with it, glad to know what it is, but what I don't understand is that lichen simplex develops because of lots of itching, but what started the itching???

• Posted

Hi So sorry to hear you've been so uncomfortable. I too have Lichen Sclerosis. I was prescribed Clobestrol, which helped with the white patches and vaginal tears. Lately Ive been having a lot of itchiness as well. I thought perhaps it was a yeast infection, but I finished the treatment for that and I am still having a problem. So, I was just reading about a woman who has itchiness issues and she controls it with her diet. She basically eats a lot of dairy and meat. Perhaps this is something you can look into? Hope you feel better soon!
  • Posted

I know I had real candida infections for about a year , then the itching in my labia mayore started five months ago and at the beginning I thought they were light candida infections as they only lasted three days and dissaperaed for about two weeks .Until at the end of february I had a flared that kasted nearky three weeks and the dermatologist diagnosed me with LSC.As I told you the betametasone worked very well but I tappered it very soon and I had another flare that lasted two weeks until they gave me an antihistaminic and it subsided. My last flare started twelve days ago and today I have not itched so hopefuly the PROTOPIC has started working as my dermatolgist told me it could take two weeks for it to work. Anyway, I also can not understand what on earth can make a skin so itchy , I mean the candida infections could be the initial cause in my case but now they are negative why is my skin reacting so bad? I am going to do a natural treatment to detox and chelate and also to low the inflamation and wil let you know how I ma doing .My ND thinks this can be a post infection state , but he did not cleared much about this. I have read a man in a forum that controled his LSC by taking saint jhon´s worth , he thinks it was because he has an staphilococus infection down the sin and the saint jhon´s has antibacterial and antifingy properties. Has you tried this or have you even worked with a naturopath?  
  • Posted

I've been reading a lot of ladies on this site having problems so I decided to give my experience in the hopes it will be of some help.   I had a similar problem to you (I'm 55) and I had all sorts of diagnoses from various doctors and nothing they prescribed helped.  Then I came down with gastro-enteritis and couldn't eat for around 5 days: and the horrible painful itching downstairs cleared right up!  That was my first clue that I was probably sensitive to some food or other.  I did an exclusion diet, slowly re-introducing different foods, and I found that one of the main triggers to the itch was whenever I ate potato!  I'd never even had a problem with it before, but it seems that as I've gotten older, I can no longer tolerate it.  I cut it out of my diet entirely, along with it's plant "cousins" - I found I get a painful itch if I eat any of the Solonacea family, including: potato, chilli, tomato, eggplant, capsicum (I believe they're also called bell peppers?) and tobacco. If I occassionally accidentally eat one of this diverse family, I find that an anthistamine can relieve the symptoms now I'm not overwhelmed by eating them every day.  I hope this helps you - best of luck!

Minamii 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.