Vulvar Cancer

Posted , 8 users are following.

Diagnosed today with well differentiated squamous cell cancer vulva. I cant stop crying and very scared. Anyone here that can walk me through this?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Beth, a lady from the church was diagnosed with Vulvar cancer I think hers was stage 4. May I ask what stage yours is and your age?  Try not to let fear take over, I know its easier said then done. When was your last female check up before this diagnoses? The lady from our church took radiation. Please know that with todays technology and catching things early you will be fine!  What is yours doctor approach for treament and what did he/she say to you? I'm praying for you and you must trust God 100% he will take care of you. If you ever like for me to pray for you over the phone please send me a private text and I'll give my cell number. Do you have good family support? 

• Posted

Hi beth so sorry to hear this, I have vin3 and due for operation in august, what is your doctors doing for you, try not to let fear overtake you I know easier said than done, and although the internet can be a great tool, it also can be our worse enemy, so please be careful on what sites you go on, get answers from doctor, are you in uk? Do you have good fiends, family to support you, Thinking of you, do 
    • Posted

Im in the US. I am sure i will have support once i actually tell people. I am so clueless right now. I just dont knownwhat this all means and feel alone and scared. I need to wait another week for the slide to go for a second look and will be staged. Is Vin the same as vulvar cancer? I have Lichen Sclorousus (spelling wrong) . What will the surgery be for u?
    • Posted

VIN is "vulvar intraepithelial neoplasia".  It's pre-cancerous, but might be what you have.

The American Cancer Society say this:

Squamous cell carcinoma of the vulva usually forms slowly over many years. Pre-cancerous changes often occur first and can last for several years. The medical term most often used for this pre-cancerous condition is vulvar intraepithelial neoplasia (VIN). "Intraepithelial" means that the abnormal cells are only found in the surface layer of the vulvar skin (epithelium).

VIN is typed by how the lesions and cells look: usual-type VIN and differentiated-type VIN.. It is sometimes graded VIN2 and VIN3, with the number 3 indicating furthest progression toward a true cancer. However, many doctors use only one grade of VIN.

- Usual-type VIN occurs in younger women and is caused by HPV infection. When usual-type VIN changes into invasive squamous cell cancer, it becomes the basaloid or warty subtypes.

- Differentiated-type VIN tends to occur in older women and is not linked to HPV infection. It can progress to the keratinizing subtype of invasive squamous cell cancer.

• Posted

Hi Beth, vin is pre cancerous cells, my surgery is to have the lesions removed, and hopefully will all be clear, I know how scary this can be, hope you will get more answers once you get the second results, thinking of you x
    • Posted

Hi Beth,

I too have Lichen Planus/Sclerosis of the vaginal area. I was diagnosed 1 year after my son was born. It very occasionally affected me. But when I started menopause it has been non stop with intense burning and itching and bleeding from wanting to rip my vagina off. So I'm sure you know that Lichen predisposes you to cancer 😦

So last October, I went in for surgery and my clitoris was removed. Its really weird but I have been in so much pain for the last ten years that I was unable to have intercourse anyway.

So at my 3 month follow-up I was scheduled to see the Dr. but his office called me and changed it to a Zoom !!! He asked how I was feeling and I said ok, I did not mention that I was itching and burning again as I thought it was the lichen. So I booked my 6 month follow up (a bit early) a week and a half ago and he said it's back, he was going to do a biopsy again but said it would be too painful. So long story short I am going in for surgery again /Tuesday May 4th and now he is going to remove my labia and probably test some more lymph nodes. He said it was all clear after the first surgery so this was a shock. I told him this time after the margins come back clear - take some more. I live in California, what state are you in? I'm praying for you, I can go through this with you if you like. Not not super religious but I guess it is in Gods hands. Take care and stay strong, Cathy

• Posted

Hello.. I had surgery for vulva cancer six months ago  due to Lichen Sclerosis.  I am not sure where you are located but I went to Dana Farber in Boston Ma.  If you have any questions for me let me know and we can talk ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.