Vulvar Dysplasia Diagnosis and unbearable Itching

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had vaginal itching for about 6 months. At times it is almost unbearable. I had 2 bumps on my vulva and 1 on my anus. My gyno said that it was just skin tags and should have nothing to do with the itching. I went to him a month ago and requested that they be removed. He removed them almost sneering at me. He said he would let me know what the pathologist said when he got the results. The result was Dysplasia. Even with those spots gone the itching is still happening. I am unable to get a full night of rest and my work is suffering. Anyone have any information that they can share. What do I do? He keeps offering me anti-depressants because he thinks I'm losing it. HELP!!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Britany

I think if it were me I'd do my best to find a different dr. That dr works for YOU! He should be kind, understanding and helpful. I have something called lichen sclerosis. I went undiagnosed and written off for years until I changed my ob/gyn. I was properly diagnosed and treated on my first visit! Best wishes dear! Hugs

• Posted

I'm in the process of doing just that. I have a colposcopy scheduled Monday and an appointment next week with a different Gynecologist in a different area. This is so frustrating. I just sit and cry most nights! The dermatologist did a different biopsy to check for Lichen Sclerosis and the results again were dysplasia. None of the medications/creams are working and I am getting so tired of being treated like its no big deal. At this point I am willing to go to another country to find a Dr that will help me.

• Posted

Hi, do you have any further information on the level of dysphasia? This is usually called VIN 1.2 or 3. What treatment was offered? Also if you have clear margins? Ask for a copy of the report and find a vulva dermatologist. If you can't find one before next week, ensure they do the colposcopy of the full vulva, vagina and anal/perianal area. Most gynaecologists don't look at the skin but the function of the organs. Let us know how you get on.

• Posted

I'm not being given any real information, and when I ask I'm looked at like I'm asking for too much. I didn't know to ask about any clear margins or the level of dysplasia. Thank you for bringing that up so I will know to ask those things. How soon do you know the results to the colposcopy? Is it a result that he can get by simply looking at the skin? Does it take pictures that have to be read by a pathologist? I'm just so confused by all of this.

• Posted

Hi, ask for a copy of the pathology report, you are entitled to it, all information should be included.

with regards to the colposcopy, the gyne will place a dye on your skin (cervix, ask for vulva/vaginal/perianal area too). The dye after a couple of minutes will show if there is any areas of abnormality which the doctor should biopsy. Normally results should take about a week. If possible appl some lidocaine or emla before hand to ease any discomfort from biopsy. It is a little uncomfortable but manageable. Good luck

• Posted

Hi Britany.  I've been reading a lot of ladies on this site having problems so I decided to give my experience in the hopes it will be of some help.   I had a similar problem to you (I'm 55) and I had all sorts of diagnoses from various doctors and nothing they prescribed helped.  Then I came down with gastro-enteritis and couldn't eat for around 5 days: and the horrible painful itching downstairs cleared right up!  That was my first clue that I was probably sensitive to some food or other.  I did an exclusion diet, slowly re-introducing different foods, and I found that one of the main triggers to the itch was whenever I ate potato!  I'd never even had a problem with it before, but it seems that as I've gotten older, I can no longer tolerate it.  I cut it out of my diet entirely, along with it's plant "cousins" - I found I get a painful itch if I eat any of the Solonacea family, including: potato, chilli, tomato, eggplant, capsicum (I believe they're also called bell peppers?) and tobacco. If I occassionally accidentally eat one of this diverse family, I find that an anthistamine can relieve the symptoms now I'm not overwhelmed by eating them every day.  I hope this helps you - best of luck!

Minamii 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.