W7 weeks post

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there

I fractured my ankle

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julia, how are you doing?  Did you require surgery?  Where is it fractured?
    • Posted

Hi Lisa

Thanks for your message.

I'm making sloooow progress. I had a bimalleolar fracture & ORIF surgery the next day. After 6 weeks of NWB my cast came off on Monday. Feels great to be able to put two feet on the ground! Just a bit concerned about how long it'll be until I can get back to work - I am on my feet all day! Just have to be patient I guess have Physio appt a week on Weds so hope to be clearer then.

Have you fractured your ankle too?

Julia

• Posted

Julia

Yes I fractured my fibula and had ankle orif surgery 8 weeks ago. One plate and six screws. Developed blood clot discovered at two week post op. Another doctor to visit and more meds! sad Good news it didn't move and hasn't gotten any bigger. Due to clot no cast allowed. Big black boot for the next four weeks. Finally at six week post op was told I could sleep without boot and start to put a little weight on it! YAY! smile started physical therapy and have had three visits. At last visit this past Wednesday I was told I can walk with one crutch with boot on around the house. A sign life will be normal again! I am doing laps a few times a day around the house. It is very sore the first three steps then it's not too bad. Didn't it feel strange but great to feel your foot on the floor?! This has been quite an ordeal. I, too, stand all day at work and wonder how that's going to work out. I am still quite a bit swollen. Where are you in this journey? I am 8 weeks post op. I know it is getting better and just takes time but I have found I am a bit impatient! I don't like not being able to climb stairs, cook, etc. hard at times, but let's KEEP OUR SPIRITS HIGH AND STAY POSITIVE! Best to you, Julia.

• Posted

Hi Julia, I broke my tibia and fibula in February, had orif surgery in March. Was nwb for 9 weeks then pwb for about 3 weeks, then fwb. I am now doing well and can do 90% of what I used to. This is a long process and an emotional one as well. It is good you are going to pt, it is very important, as it helps with your recovery and most importantly to get your full ROM back. Do your pt and the exercises they give you to do at home. Also listen to your body and do what it tells you, remember we all recover differently. Be patient and remain positive. Hope you have a speedy recovery, and please keep us updated. God bless.
    • Posted

Thank you very much for your encouraging words Daphne. It's really good to hear you are back to being able to do 90% of what you used to.

It sure is a difficult process emotionally, I am slowly coming to terms with how long it will take and trying to focus on the progress I've made so far.

Very best wishes

Julia

• Posted

Hi Lisa

So sorry to hear you've had a blood clot to deal with too, how horrible for you. Yes we must focus on staying as positive as we can and keeping our spirits up...

Walking with just one crutch makes a lot of difference doesn't it? It's so good to be able to carry a drink or plate from room to room! I am 7 weeks post ORIF surgery tomorrow. I had my cast off on Monday & have an ankle brace to use. The last couple of days I've been able to get around at home with one crutch which is a big progress.

Very best wishes for your continuing recovery.

Julia

• Posted

Julia

That's amazing that you are on one crutch! Yes it is wonderful having two feet on the floor again! We are beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel as the others on this site have said we would. Great site for ankle support.. So sorry for each and everyone's injury but thankful for their posts and shared stories. Helps to know what is 'normal' and what is to come. Good luck when you start your physical therapy next week. I've read several posts saying to do the pt exercises at home and I have done just that. It can only help. Take care and have a speedy recovery!

• Posted

Daphne

Sorry you had to go through this. Your post is very encouraging. Thanks. You are right it is emotional as well as physical. Sooo glad to hear you're 90% back. Do you still have swelling? Hoping to read on here that it does go away. Take care and hope you're well and improving. Thank you again for sharing.

• Posted

Hi Lisa, the swelling last a long time, but it gets better the more you begin to walk. You are still early days, beginning patient. I still have very slight swelling , but it is so slight that only I can notice it. The colour of my foot is normal. Do your pt and ask the physiotherapists to show you how to massage the scar tissue, all this is important to your recovery. At this stage also take your pain and anti inflammatory meds if you have, don't try and be brave, it will suddenly all improve.

• Posted

Hi, Julia!

Sorry to hear about your ankle. I, too, am a post ankle fracture still healing.  It can be so much to bear, but does and will get better. 

Take care and prayers for your speedy recovery.

Lisa

• Posted

Thank you Lisa. It is an ordeal isn't it? But as you say it will get better.

Wishing you a speedy recovery too.

Julia

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.