Waist to toe leg aches both sides

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. Could really do with some help.

For a couple of months now I have had an issue with my legs which seems to be getting worse. The doctor's dismiss it as anxiety but this is the thing that is causing me to be anxious so I am not sure. After doing anything strenuous my legs start getting restless, then they tighten up and start twitching and then they will remain like that and ache for a long time, days in fact. If I have a warm bath to help soothe the muscles it makes things worse and my legs becoming heavy and really achey and restless and it will make all my veins bulge out too. I'm a 32 yo male. Yesterday I felt fine and was quite buoyant as I told myself it must all be anxiety if I feel okay now - I did a bit of walking that day and felt really good then later on that night it all started again, restless legs turning to achey twitching legs etc etc it sounds like it could be cramping fasciculation syndrome from what I've read. Anyone offer any help?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Maybe Restless Leg Syndrome, one of the causes can be an iron defiency. Google it and see if your symptoms fit, Best Wishes.x

• Posted

Thanks albeit I don't think it is restless legs the exercise intolerance and twitching don't seem to tie in with restless legs. Had a load of bloods done just before Xmas and my iron levels were fine.

• Posted

i have chronic muscle spasms that can last for days and can be quite painful for general spasms, I soak in a warm bath with Epson salts which is magnesium and it sometimes helps to quiet the muscles down i also take magnesium supplement because it is a natural muscle relaxer I have several levels of pain medications and lorazepam for last resort it sounds like you have restless leg which is different than general spasms but if your muscles are agitated its worth try

• Posted

Thank you but I dont think the exercise intolerance and twitching tie in with RLS. What causes your spasms? I do have magnesium but I also have IBS which has been quite bad last few months which I have wondered could be linked but magnesium supplements tend to give me diarrhoea. I'm trying them with Calcium and Zinc now see if that helps. I might give the bath salts a whirl but hot baths make my legs ache as well at the minute.

• Posted

i also have IBS and have to be careful how much magnesium I take for the same reason. I have hyoscyamine (Levsin) for IBS when it flares up. I was told by my PCP that although my electrolytes are in the normal range, it is possible they are not being absorbed well. Just recently I was on a high course of prednisone for other issues and while on it, my muscle spasms stopped As soon as I titrated off, the spasms returned but milder. it's anecdotal, but I believe there are more auto-immune diseases that have yet to be discovered. Good luck in your pursuits, be your best advocate.

• Posted

also see a rheumatologist and get tested for autoimmune diseases including cryoglobulinemia. i have cryoglibulinemia transiently and it plays havoc with blood vessels . Youre too young to be shuffled off into a caregory of anxiety without going the extra mile. Just my opinion, I've had uncaring and caring doctors over my 64 years but being a nurse I know how to advocate for myself . Sometimes doctor just dont know but dont give up until youve exhausted all your avenues

• Posted

I'll try and get a referral to rheumatology or something and will google that. My sister does have Raynauds.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.