Waiting date Tribunals ESA!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Was on ESA then failed the assessment put on JSA, but I had a Doctor Notes saying I was not fit for work so I did not have to apply for work.

Now the 13 weeks are coming up! went to the JSA coach last Friday he asked me how I was and how my conditions were, then said that there

had been mistake with my 13 weeks and that I could go back on ESA, as I was going to a tribunal, but I would have to ring the Jobcentre up.

so I rang them up in the Jobcentre building and they said get them to scan the paper work other to us, so off I went spoke to a woman and

scaned my paperwork and that a payment would be in my account next week, this took over 2 hours!!!

Thought that it was all sorted but no, had a phone from ESA telling me that they received my paperwork, but could not put me back on ESA because

I am still on JSA, so if i don't get my payment tomorrow I will be back on the phone.

Sorry for the moaning and ranting, but it's getting on my nerves!!!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes, they have to close down the JSA claim before they will open the ESA one.

It can take a while for all of this to get sorted which obviously means no money in the interim.

I went through something similar back in 2009. Made a claim for ESA Sept 09 had face to face in Jan 10 and failed with no points. I telephoned the ESA BDC who incorrectly told me to claim JSA now as I had been found fit for work. This I did.

However because of their error in telling me that load of rubbish it took from Jan to May before they could sort the mess out (it ended up with the ESA dept having to rebuild my claim clerically).In the meantime the DWP changed their view of me and put me in the Support Group for 3 years.

As I said I received no money for nearly four months until they sorted out the ESA claim.

• Posted

Hi they have to take you off the system for JSA before the computers will accept a new claim for ESA.  This can take a while.   The way round it is to do it clerically.   Ask them to send you the form by post instead.  Ok it's an awful and long form to fill in but you will be able to claim straightaway.  Put the claiming date from the one on the sick note explaining why you want it backdated.  Ok?

I used to work for the DWP!   x

• Posted

That sounds very similar to what I was told by the ESA BDC when I kicked off with them over the previously given incorrect advice to claim JSA instead.

I completed a new ESA1 claim from that I had downloaded off the DWP website, filled it in and sent it off thinking that that was it!

I then sent a letter to the Jobcentre telling them that I wanted the JSA claim closed down (for which incidentally) I had received no payment at all.

Nope not at all - by the time they got round to sorting it all out, I had to send them a further 2 x ESA1's PLUS one that I filled in over the phone which was sent to me and returned to them (all because they kept losing them) Then they had the audacity to blame me for the delay in getting the claim and payment set up - I had completed too many froms and it took them a long time to re-build the claim clerically from scratch!!! Not a happy bunny!!

• Posted

Looking back now, I do wonder how they expected me to live without the financial help that I was entitled to - I received no apology or compensation of having to use credit cards to pay bills (mortgage, fuel etc) and live. Interest on that lot was charged at 39%pa which I had to pay!!
    • Posted

There is a company called turn to us they are part of citizens advice.

But you can call them for free or go on the website and they can get you all kinds of help to help you through a bad time when you need to pay for things and have no money to do it. 

i always recomend them as they helped me through a difficuslt time last year.

• Posted

I was on jsa and was advised the quickest way is to cancel the jsa over the phone.

Than once you get your sick note take to jobcentre to get them to fax it across to esa. Thsi happens quite fast and you dont have to go without money for too long.

i was told over the phone by both jsa and esa it will take a couple of weeks but assesment can take up to 12-13 wks. 

I got my last payment of jsa within the week and my payment for one week the following week. 

The next payment will be next week for the full 2 weeks.

• Posted

I've now received a letter from Health Assessment Advisory service and new Capability for Work Questionnaire. I have closed JSA and asked to be put back on ESA, ESA said they are going to call

me tomorrow. What is going on here? Do I really have to fill the questionnaire out again? I had payment of JSA last week, will I get a payment next week?

Thanks again Twiglet,

• Posted

Got my ESA payment yesterday and had a letter confirming that I've been put back on ESA, today.

Does anyone know if I still have to fill the Capability for Work Questionnaire?

• Posted

It depends on which ESA group you have been put into.  If you are in the support group then you are not expected to look for any kind of work.  If you are in the work group (WRAG) you will be expected to look for some form of work with limited hours and you will need to fill the form in  x
    • Posted

Hi hyercat, I'm on the contribution -based Employment and Support Allowance so I get £73.10 aweek.

I've not been put in a group yet? Do you know if I will have to pay for prescription?

Thanks Twiglet

• Posted

Hi have you had your ESA Assessment yet?  This is normally done within 13 weeks of claiming ESA.  That's when they will decide whether you can stay on ESA and if so what group to put you in,  or  whether you don't qualify and you will need to claim JSA again.

What you are talking about now is something entirely different.   If you have paid enough National Insurance Contributions through work in the past 2/3 tax years then you will get Contribution Based Benefit.   This usually lasts for up to 6 months I(although there are exceptions) and then you will go on to Incomed based JSA.  In the latter one any income coming into the household including savings will be taken into account as well and you might not qualify.   If you live on your own and having savings less than the limit (used to be £16,000 but not sure what it is now) with no other income then you should receive this.   If you have a partner who lives with you who is working then you might not receive.  On Contribution Based JSA you won't qualify for free prescriptions unless you also have certain conditions ie if you are taking meds for diabetes or thyroid.  There are other but am not sure of them but definitely not mental health!   You get free prescriptions if you are 60 or over in England.  In Scotland,  Northern Ireland and Wales you don't pay prescription charges or dentists.   

If you get income based benefit you would qualify for free prescriptions,  free dental treatment and glasses.   You can buy an annual card costing around £104 a year for your prescriptions otherwise.  

I hope this is a lot clearer.  x

• Posted

* then you will go onto income based benefit whether ESA or JSA*

• Posted

Sorry a bit confusing.  On CBB you don't get free prescriptions etc.  On income based benefit you do.  This is on both JSA and ESA.  x
    • Posted

Went to WBA filled in questionnaire again and sent. Also show my ESA letter and was told that I was on both contribution -based Employment, Support Allowance and income related. I was told that I was in titled to free prescriptions and will be until I have my tribunal? What I don't understand is that I have saving over £6000.00 but don't have over £16000.00 what do I need to do? Thanks Twiglet
    • Posted

Did you declare all your savings to them?  If so then you are ok for getting free prescriptions.   If you have savings over £16,000 you will not get income based benefit.   Between £6,000 - £16,000 you will get some benefit on a sliding scale.  Eg if you have £8,000 savings you will lose a certain amount of benefit.  I think this is £1 per £250 over the figure of £6,000 unless they have changed it recently.  If they have told you that you get free prescriptions then you will.  x
    • Posted

Thanks Hypercat, the last time I got moved from one benfits to another i got a letter from NHS saying I have to pay penalty for a dentist check up and they wanted £150.00! After not getting no help on the phone from Jobcentre or NHS, I ended up going to Jobcentre and they were spot on and got it sorted, but I still had to send the paper work to prove my innocence to the NHS, Then got a letter saying that I did not have to pay the penalty. No apology, wrong in my book!

Twiglet,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.