Waiting endoscopy results

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, my 11 yr old son had a coeliac blood test which came back showing positive IgG endomysial antibodies so was booked in for an endoscopy which he's since had. This will be 3 weeks on thursday, an idea how long we should expect to wait on the results - its hard being patient when i just want to know whats wrong with him. He also has a long term history of GORD , migraine with CVS so does already have stomach issues.

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm not on here very often but I see you have had no replies. Wonder what the results of the endoscopy were and if your son has started on a gluten free diet? If so and he is coeliac he should be a lot better by now?
  • Posted

Thanks Marg, funny enough the scope showed no real damage to his gut so the DR has said that at the moment he doesnt have coeliac, tho probably will do eventually . He wanted him to stay on a regular diet. Since all this his Gerd had spiralled and his meds increased. Due to see his paed this month so am hoping for a better plan of action as missing school with pain and nausea isnt good
    • Posted

Ok Hope the Paed understands coeliac. Yes it seems to be for many people it takes years for them to be diagnosed. I believe symptoms get worse over time. Some people go gluten free because they feel better on the diet. But it may not be coeliac. It could be IBS which is more due to another molecule called fructan which is in wheat, rye and barley but also in other foods (onion, garlic, leeks). If IBS then you may also need to restrict fructose (apples, pears, mango, watermelon, honey), lactose (milk, yoghurt, icecream, custard, ricotta and cottage cheese), GOS (some legumes, lentils, chickpeas) and polyols (sorbitol, mannitol, apple, apricot, nectarine, peach, plum and pear). You may not have to be so strict on this diet as with the gluten diet.  Hope this helps.
  • Posted

Thankyou for all that info Marg, thats great - my daughter has suffered with IBS since age 10 so its possible. Funnyenough, now waiting on coeliac tests for her as she's not been doing so well lately..
    • Posted

Well coeliac disease is hereditary..   Also when coeliac disease goes undiagnosed people become deficient in vitamins and minerals (particularly magnesium) which affects many things.. especially sleep.. and it could be causing migraines?    Just in regard to GERD I wonder sometimes if that is worse when having a lot of rice..?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.