waiting for 24 BP monitor

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have PAF well controlled by Flecainide and Rivaroxiban. Routine bp tests usually show BP of 140-160/70 but gp has never suggested high bp medication. Cardiologist yesterday suggested 24 bp monitor (reading was 160/70) and am on waiting list for it. Have had slight headache and mild wooziness and slight tingling in left hand this morning. Think this is reaction to cardiologist talking about strokes and heart attacks. Advice please.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Similar situation - last PAF episode was over 2 years ago being controlled by Flecainide and Warfarin.  However I also take a BP drug (Lercandipine).  My cardiologist reckons that my PAF was caused by high BP but no-one is sure.  He reckons I ought to aim for 140/90 but obviously it varies daily, if not hourly!  I have a home BP monitor and my GP is happy with me monitoring at home - I suffer 'white coat' syndrome!
    • Posted

Thanks for replying. i am puzzled to hear that your BP fluctuates even though you are on the Lerandipine, as I thought  BP drugs kept you stable ? Might I ask what you do if you monitor and your BP is raised, do you have to increase your dose that day ? I read  a headline years ago (before i got PAF, so didn't take that much notice) that if your BP goes up and down a lot, you are at greater risk of stroke than from a consistently high BP. 

Thank you

• Posted

Hi there, I too am in a similar situation. I started with permanent AF last June and got a cardioversion in October which worked ....... until last Wednesday. I am back in AF and am controlling it with bisoprolol and warfarin. Every time I went to see the GP or cardiologist my BP was high, I have 'white coat syndrome', I only have to look at a stethescope and it goes up!! The cardio suggested I have a 24 hour monitor which I did. I went back to my GP and he read out the results, they daytime BP averaged at 140, and they like it to be nearer 130, the night time BP averaged at 130, and they like it to be 120. Not crazy results by any means. At the time of wearing the monitor I was back in sinus rhythm. The GP said in view of this and the fact that my BP does go up in stressful situations he would give me a small dose of meds. I'm sorry but at this moment in time I can't for the life of me remember what it is but it's 2.5mg!! I think that my AF was probably brought on by a number of things but high BP may have been a factor. Good luck. 
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. You are the 2nd person to mention 'white coat syndrome' so I am telling myself to chill out and remember that I've been like this for years and not had a stroke yet !

Am in the midst of getting ready to move house which isn't helping. 

Best wishes to you, thanks again for taking time to reply. It has helped calm me down !

• Posted

I was told the avarge BP is what mattered and I manage to keep mine around 135/75 - it fluctuates naturally.  I find that if I worry about it it rises - so i try not to!  I like to think that my stroke risk is reduced by Warfarin!
    • Posted

thanks very much for your advice. I am going to try and chill out more.
  • Posted

Don't underestimate the value of exercise - my BP is always better after a visit to the gym.  Makes a bigger impact than medication!  So chill out and exercise!
    • Posted

I do go for a brisk walk with my neighbour most mornings, but I think I will do more. Thanks for that reminder.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.