Waiting for 24 hour ph test results

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a manometry & 24 hr ph test done a couple of weeks ago and am waiting for the results. As my gastro consultant had arranged a "chat" with a surgeon about pro's and con's - I never expected him to say he would do the op - which he will - provided the results from the tests come through showing reflux. Now I am waiting nervously for these reults as the test wasn't what I expected with me having a whole host of symptoms I had not experienced before in the ph test (constantly dripping nose for 8 hours!) - not worried about the manometry! Has anyone had strange symptoms in this test and still got a "good" result - also if test wasn't conclusive - did you have another test done???

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I also had a consultation with a surgeon who told me the surgery involves a band which fits around the bottom of the oesophagus to stop acess from coming up but he told me there is alot of side effects to this and sometimes people have to have corrective surgery because the band tightens too much and that one long term complication is that some people cant burp and that this is uncomfortable and painful

Sorry the word above should be acid I couldn't get the cursor to correct it

I decided not to have surgery on these recommendations but found alot of my problem was due to constipation it has now improved somewhat as I take ppi s domperidone along with some new drugs called prucalopride for constipation.These have really helped

• Posted

Maureen your doctor is ill informed the procedure he is talking about is the linx it is a fairly new procedure but far less invasive than the Nissen I had it in June this year it has been a lifesaver there are no side effects as you say there are patients who need a dilation afterwards but comparing it to the Nissen it is 1 million times better trust me I can burp I can throw up to the things you can't do with the other procedure it is virtually non-invasive I had five small incisions it was done through keyhole surgery and I would recommend it to anyone there is a site where people talk about this procedure that I hadand they are living proof about the benefits of this I am happy to answer any and all questions anyone may have and I'm living proof that it has been very successful
    • Posted

Hi Maureen,

I am having 270 fundoplication not 360 nissen - as this can be too tight.and causes the problems you have mentioned As it is right now - I would rather have the repair - meds don't work well - and they give me so many problems I am willing to take that plunge!

• Posted

Good to know. I know the linx is a new proceedure - not available in a lot of areas - I think what I have been offered is the best option for my personal circumstances - 270 isn't as tight as the 360 - so he says I shouldn't loose the burp/vomit options! This will also be done through keyhole - and I don't even stay a night in hospital. Still it hinges on that ph test result..... agh!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.