Waiting for a date for a. Partial knee replacement

Posted , 11 users are following.

after reading some of  patients post operative experience I am really worried about wether to proceed with op has anyone any positive expieriences to share?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

If you are in so much pain you are having trouble with your regular daily activities, you probably need it done. I think what you see here are honest to life stories of what people go through. There is pain, no doubt. There is a tremendous amount of effort required on your part for recovery. The result is relatively trouble free life 6 months or so after. Communication with your medical team beforehand is of the utmost importance. I don't think there are very many who jump into this without some degree of angst and most have a great deal of buyers remorse for several weeks but by following several on here who have had worst case senerios, when life returns they are so much the better for it. Best wishes
  • Posted

Hi there Julie. Wise words from old fat guy. Depending on what you are presently experiencing  dont know about partial replacement, I had full knee rep, at 12weeks post op I am turning the corner and getting my old life back. It i said it was easy I would be lying to you. Apart from the actual op its the weepiness and depression aided by sleepiness nights that grind you down. Everyone heals at a different rate Julie and it may well be not so difficult for you. Wish I could say something more helpful and it is well to be prepared, no one explained to me what post op would be like and that also goes for most people who use this foram. I wis you well Julie if you are in severe pain I don't think you have much option take care from tucks
  • Posted

Hi Julie

Last year there was some talk about me having a partial replacement but it was decided they are not as successful as a full replacement and that I would probably need a full one in a few years anyway?

I had my TKR 10 weeks ago, it has been / is difficult but am making progress all the time just as everyone else is.

Tucks and Oldfatguy are both right; stay with the forum for all sorts of good advice and support.

All the best, Tracey

• Posted

Thank you all for the helpfull comments my knee pain is bearable atm as I have had a second cortisone  injection 4weeks ago  but I know the pain will come back once this wears  off again 
    • Posted

Have you worked aggressively with supps for joints and oils etc....I've been talking to Tina here and giving her all my info on what I do as I want no knee surgery, hip replacement did me in and another trauma I just can't handle....   I'm older and manage and am content enough with what social life I have....to me another surgery makes me say, I'd rather die than go thru that again....

Have you checked the  TKR after 10 yrs posting?   That is where Tina and I are talking....sounds like she will do one and that is her choice, but these for the most part are all elective....if an emergency then that's another thing.....  J 

• Posted

As others say you are the only one who can decide depending on how much pain you're in now and how it is affecting your quality of life. I found I couldn't walk very far before the op. Could manage round the house and I wasn't in great pain when sitting or in bed. But I couldn't manage a nice long walk on holiday or a day out shopping in town. I decided I wanted to do these things again so went ahead with the op - after long discussion with my surgeon and a few months "thinking about it". It's not something you should go into unless you've really thought it through.

I'm 15 weeks post op now and am beginning to turn the corner. My knee now feels really strong. I still get stiff but the pain is getting less. I'm pretty sure in a few months I'll manage my long walks. You have to work hard at the recovery - my surgeon told me it was 20% his effort and 80% mine. The exercises are hard work and it is painful but, for me, it's going to be worth it in the end. I'm already better than I was before the op. 

Just realised you're having a partial replacement. I had TKR. I can't really comment with any authority but I remember my GP telling me when she referred me originally that recovery was quicker with a partial. It was not suitable for me though. I'd discuss with your surgeon what the chances of needing a TKR later on are. Good luck. Hope our discussions haven't scared you. If you read on, most of us get better and I think a lot of people stop posting after a while when they've no longer got any problems. Jen 

• Posted

I had a PKR just under 7 weeks ago, I'm 43 and found everyday life difficult, but continued to work. I'm not at the stage yet where I can say it's changed my life but the discomfort I have is better than the pain. I had a slow start to my recovery but in the last 3 weeks I've come on leaps & bounds. I never ever considered not having the op as I knew I couldn't go on as I was before. Everyday I see a difference and I look forward to being pain free
  • Posted

Hi Julie

I had one TKR about 8 months ago and the second about 8 weeks ago, both are still giving me problems. The first is still very stiff very often but if it was on its own it would be bearable. The second is still a long way from recovery although I am back at work but still medicating. I am managing ok , thanx for asking.

I have said jokingly to friends that I am glad I don't have 3 legs because I doubt if I would be getting the third done.

It is a horrid op and definitely one can expect to feel traumatised both physically and mentally.

If you don't need it as in weighing up your options, don't go down the TKR road.

I was able to function with anti inflammatories, painkillers, knee straps and ice packs. I was bone on bone with both knees, no cartlidge. But I chose the TKR road because I was concerned about the amount of medication I was consuming and had visions of dying a terrible death with kidney failure. Therefore my option was the ops.

I have given myself 18 months from my first TKR to decide whether it was all worth it. After 6 months with the first I felt as if I was beginning to function normally albeit with some pain and stiffness. But it wasnt fixed totally. I have booked an o'seas holiday for 1 year after my second so am expecting to be functioning well by then.

I think you should ask those who have had the op at least a year or maybe 2 down the track and see what they think. I suspect they will say yes in most cases. But if you don't really need it, don't do it.

• Posted

HI Julie,I have just had patello / femoral replacement in both knees (even though

everyone said I must be mad )4 weeks ago on the

9th October after being diagnosed with degenerative osteoarthritis about 10

months ago .To start with I had cortisone injections in both knees a couple of times but they did not work.I then was put in touch with a consultant who offered

Synvisc injections these are supposed to mimic the fluid cartridge etc for ease of

movement .Again this did not work for me .The consultant then suggested partial

knee in both knee at the same time .This sounded the best option as I don't think I would want to go through it twice .Anyway after a week I was up walking with

crutches,and getting up and down the stairs .I attend physio weekly and I make

sure I push myself at home .Always take my pain killers which are co_CODAMOL

with strength 30/500 which are prescription only .I feel I am progressing everyday with 120 degrees in my left leg and 105 degrees in my right leg this has been

progressing weekly .I'm hoping to be back at work early December and also back to my hobby of being the Head Coach at a gymnastics club .So just to end ,I think for the good quality of life which we all want it is worth having the operation if all else

fails .Hope this has been helpfully.

• Posted

thankyou ric Ian very greatful .iamthinking of going back to m go for a chat just to see what her thaughts are and wether should delay it for a whil e. Good luck with your recovery
  • Posted

There are more options to AVOID these knee replacements....Prolotherapy in the form of PRP and Stem Cells and Prolozone which is oxygen and vitamin based....

These replacements sound pretty horrid and I'm doing all to keep going and not cut up my knee...

• Posted

I have just had both knees doneTKR. (3 and 7 weeks ago). Yes it is painful. Yes it is hard mentally. But I can ALREADY walk further and more easily than I could before. This past year I have had to stop work, stop having my grandchildren over, pay for a cleaner, takes LOTS of painkillers. I just wasn't prepared to continue that sort of life. I am only 57 and felt 97. I am sure that there are alternative measures that claim to "fix" your knee but at the end of the day, nothing can replace cartilage that is NOT there. I wasn't prepared to fuss around with them. I did have a lot of time to think about it, because of the way my insurance worked, I had to wait. The decision is yours however. Only you know what sort of life you have and what sort of life you want. As with any surgery there are risks but the success stories I have heard far outweigh the failures. I would advise that you be fully informed about what to expect. Don't underestimate the pain, so make sure you have access to pain killers afterwards. And I mean more than panadol. Also think about some support, eg a cleaner, someone to drive you to appts etc. And put some meals in the freezer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.