Waiting for a hystectomy

Posted , 9 users are following.

Im waiting to go in for a TAH at the end of the month. Ive heard so many horror stories i cant take it all in. I work for myself so the time off is going to be a nightmare. Ive been reading some of the lovely lady comments on here and think i know roughly what to expect now but any advice or tips for survival would be appreciated xxx

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sharon,

I would say try not to worry but we all do!

I didn't read many of the posts online prior to my op as I was already a worry wot about the op, let alone the possible complications...

The main thing for me was the gas pain straight afterwards. I thought my incision would be the painful part but it wasn't. It really hurt to get out of bed and walk the morn after the op but it did help with the gas, and drinking loads of water helped too.

Expect to feel weak and wiped out but it does get better though.

At times when I felt low, after a few nights when I didn't sleep as I couldn't get comfortable, I reminded myself why I had the op in the first place and that I couldn't continue with life as it was due to my fibroids causing so many issues.

When are you having your op? Good luck.

• Posted

Hi. I go in on the 31st of this month. They havnt really said much at the hospital so ive been reading things on the internet. Not always the best idea!

Its severe endometreosis, i had a laparoscopy 3 weeks ago and they decided i needed the full lot gone.

How long ago did you have yours?

• Posted

You should ask them questions or tell them any concerns you have after all its your body I had mine in Nov 2015
  • Posted

Make sure you take each day as it comes don't do any heavy lifting or housework for about 4 weeks walk a little each day don't rush back to work I know you work yourself but if you do damage you'll be off elonger good luck

• Posted

Hi Sharon,

Having gone thru one recently..My advice to you is yes it is painful, but it will get better everyday...Its ok to be scared i was, but go in with an open mind that in the long run you will feel better...Hopw this helps

• Posted

Hi, Sharon,

Everyone else had great advice!  I think that each person's experience of surgery can be a bit different, though they all have things in common.  

What I think you're concerned about is the time off.  The surgery's been scheduled because you're going to derive some benefit from it, so it's medically necessary.  That being said, you need to resolve that you're going to give yourself sufficient time to heal properly.  Ask your doctor for guidelines.

For me it was that my external stitches would heal in 5-6 weeks, but that my internal stitches would take much longer.   But those internnal stitches need time to help your insides knit together. I was advised not to lift anything heavier than a milk carton for 8 weeks.  Then, I could gradually resume activity, starting with walking about.

Please give yourself enough time to properly heal, as your future health can depend on it. xx

• Posted

Hi Sharon I had my TAH 2yrs in june , I had my op on the thursday and came home tuesday after, I had an injection of morphine while in surgery and although was always been offered painkillers I didnt need them as had no pain. This said I was a little sore for a few wks but sailed through it. Was quite numb were my incition was for quite a long time. As regards wind I took oil of peppermint capsules and drank plenty of water. Take nighty not pj's because you might have a caffeter

• Posted

Should of said catheter which they put in while under anesthetic so you dont feel anything.Try not to worry its not as bad as people make out, I am not in the best of health anyway, being a 64, overweight, diabetic with heart failure. Just concentrate on getting well and except all the help you are offered AND GOOD LUCK
  • Posted

Make sure you go in with a positive attitude and mind.. it will help with the over all surgery and healing!

I've had 2 c sections but going in for a hysterectomy either in April for my daughters vacation or waiting it out for summer break. I am nervous but I know what to expect.. trust me it isn't as bad as what your thinking.. just make sure to take it easy and know your limits.

One thing I really recommend is an abdominal binder!!! That saved me for my 2 c sections.. the hospital gave me mine.. but not sure if you will get one from your hospital.. buy one online if you can.

It helps put pressure and feels tight so you can move easier with relief smile

Good luck and don't stress smile

• Posted

Don't be scared.  Think positive when you go in hospital.  The do everything they can to help you feel comfortable and don't read any horror stories.  I had a TAH in September last year.  My motto is do as you are told and don't try to do anything because you think you will be okay, you won't be okay.  The outer skin heals quickly but the inner takes a lot longer, so just be careful and think before you try to do anything.  I was in hospital for two nights, which actually went quite quickly.  The catheter is nothing to be worried about, you won't feel it and you can drink as much as you want without worrying about having to go to the loo.  I didn't have those legging things on my legs after the op, I had ankle pumps instead which wrap round your legs and pump your ankles to stop any swelling.  They were great and much more comfortable than the socks which can feel very tight round your legs. Don't know whether you will be offered those but you can ask if they do them at your hospital.  After about 6 weeks, you can massage any cream or lotion on your scar as I was told this will stop the internal stitches from going hard and lumpy.  I did this and could feel some lumpy bits internally, so I have kept up the massaging with cocoa butter cream and it now feels smooth inside, so it does work.  Your scar may itch when it heals, but don't scratch!  The Physio came to see me and gave me a leaflet with exercises in it and advised about what I should do and when, and what not to do.  Ask if you are not sure about anything.

Hope all goes well for you, take as much time off as you need and don't worry about anything else.  I feel great now.  I was quite fit beforehand as I used to do keep fit until 3 years ago, but now I go swimming instead and am back up to my previous level.  I am 73 by the way.  Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.