Waiting for biopsy results. Worried.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have calprotectin greater than 600, abdominal pain, passing mucus, lethargy no diarrhoea but constipation. I had a Ct with contrast but was normal. I had a flexi sigmoidoscopy the other day and could clearly see some white patches in the rectal region. Awaiting biopsy results. My doctor also wants another stool sample to check for c. Diff? I haven't had that I am sure I would know. anyone else had this?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The whole thing you are describing does sound like inflammation in the gut so the task will be to find out what is causing it. The main advantage of the fecal test is, as I understand it, to avoid IBS sufferers having to have invasive tests which will prove negative although symptoms can be similar. I presume they have ruled out NSAID's (aspirin ibuprofen etc) because you don't use them as I read somewhere that they can cause inflammation in the gut too, as well as the more common stomach irritation.I also heard like you that just after you stop smoking it can cause bleeding etc in some people but I don't know how common it is or for how long it lasts. I had really vile IBS for about 10 years and eventually found certain foods (wheat in particular) if taken in more than small-moderate amounts to be responsible so you may have a trying period where they work through various bacterial possibilities and keep any eye on the numbers with fecal tests. I don't know where 600 is on the reference scale but I read that newly diagnosed cases of inflammation in the gut can cause very elevated levels to begin with. I can appreciate you will be worried, but there is a lot they can do nowadays even with ulcerative colitis etc and it doesn't sound as if you are at that point anyway. Hopefully, getting them on the case early will knock whatever it is on the head faster. I was just lucky to have a GP back then who had had a similar case as mine and had the correct hunch. Excluding conditions does take time and it can be exasperating for the patient but they do usually find the problem because most of us tend to have things with statistically higher likelihoods and not the very very rare thing. Good luck Jayne!
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I don't take any NSAIDs or ppi's to cause a false positive on the faecal test. Just waiting for the results is such a worry. Will update you when I get them. Thank you again x
  • Posted

Hi sorry to ask but have you had your results back yet it's just I'm waiting on some too. Only had my colonoscopy yesterday so still have a long wait to go but it's just not nice having to Wait

Cheers

Jonathon

• Posted

Hi Jonathan. Yes I had my results! I have been diagnosed with proctitis. Started on mesalazine. I have to do another faecal calprotectin test in about 4 weeks to see if the inflammation has reduced. I still get some left sided discomfort but not as bad as it was before starting the treatment. Fingers crossed for you. Let me know how you get on x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.