Waiting For Blood Test Results

Posted , 3 users are following.

How long do I have to wait for blood test results, it is for too check if i have crohn's flare up. I got bloods taken 21st May 2019.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

i usually wait about 7 day's and then call up for my results. shouldn't u be hsbing a calprotectin Instead? thats the test they give me

• Posted

I usually get blood test results within a few days but I have to call my surgery to get them.

Blood tests aren't used to diagnose Crohns Disease, but are the best way to check how bad the level of inflammation caused by CD is. With inflammation of any part of your body comes a raise in the number of white blood cells in your blood, doctors use blood tests to monitor how severe a flare up is and how a patient is reacting to treatments that are normally given to help the patient back into a state of remission.

Faecal Calprotectin test shouldn't be used to diagnose, or to check inflammation levels for Crohns Disease, purely because there are a whole host of other things that can affect the specificity of the results, medications, viruses, abscesses, to name a few, plus the Calprotectin test can pick up inflammation in any part of the digestive tract, which is classed as anywhere from your mouth to your anus. I do not have Crohns Disease, yet I haved raised Calprotectin results, however my white blood cell counts have always been normal, turns out in a study done a couple of years ago that PPI medications can cause raised Calprotectin results and affect specificity of the results, and I'm on the PPI Omeprazole.

• Posted

Hi Paul, the consultant told mne he would write to me with results of blood tests. Thankyou for your reply.****

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.