Waiting for cardioversion

Posted , 8 users are following.

Went to see the (very pleasant) Cardiac Nurse at the hospital for the first time on Monday and after some tests was advised that I would be a suitable candidate for cardioversion. I asked for 24 hours to think about it (also to allow me to discuss it with my wife).

After reading the pamphlets I was given by the hospital, consulting Dr Google and watching some YouTube videos of the procedure, I rang the hospital this morning to say I'd go ahead with it. I just need 3 straight weeks of good INR results now. This week's was 2.0 and that just crept in to the 2.0 to 3.0 they're looking for so hopefully the dose I'm on now (6mg) is the right one for me.

Feeling a bit nervous about it if I'm honest but watching the videos on YouTube actually helped reassure me. Although I don't suppose there would be any negative outcome videos posted as most are shot by medical staff biggrin

Looks like 3 straight weeks of good INR results would get me in for the procedure the following week so not too long to wait and find out if it's going to work. I appreciate a positive outcome may not last for ever but it's got to be worth a go.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

3rd INR result in a row OK yesterday so I'm in for my cardioversion next Tuesday afternoon! Once again, can't knock the NHS!
  • Posted

Cardioversion procedure performed this afternoon and already feeling better confused. Just one shock @ 150 joules did the trick apparently. Chest is slightly sore but nothing much to worry about. Feeling tired as I didn't sleep much last night - mainly because the wife was more worried about today than me and kept tossing and turning!

Just hope it lasts! Staying on Warfarin & Atenolol until my follow-up in early January but I can live with that. The good thing is I won't need to do my INR tests weekly anymore (the hospital thought monthly would be OK) although the GP has to ratify that descision apparently.

• Posted

Hi Derek

By the cardiac nurses (two of them). They had 7 to do this afternoon so it was a bit of a production line confused. Per my previous experiences with the much-maligned Colchester General Hospital, everything from booking in at 13:00 and leaving at 16:45 went very smoothly.

I'll get my BP meter out later and check that the irregular heartbeat symbol no longer appears!! At least I'll know if I go back into AF as I tend to test my BP quite regularly.

• Posted

Day surgery type things are usually handled well. Though when I went for an angiogram I was there from 8am till 10pm. They had interuptions for emergencies and the guy who did mine was on a learning curve. My wife had been told to phone at 2pm as I should have been ready to go home by then.

Mine still shows irregular beats but they are ectopic beats.

• Posted

As I'd hoped, my BP meter is no longer indicating an irregular heartbeat but I am seeing a pulse rate of 48-50 which is no doubt down to the Atenolol I was prescribed for rate control. Hopefully they will stop the Atenolol after my review in 6 weeks time as I suffered from bradycardia a few years back caused by.... Atenolol (although I was then on 100mg, rather than the 25mg I'm on now) .

• Posted

My notes after cardioversion said 'In sinus bradycardia' I normally have a heart rate in the 40's. When I questioned their wording they said patients are usually in sinus bradycardia after cardioversion and then their heart  settles into a higher rate. Let me know if it does. They did stop Bisoprolol when I said that my heart rate was usually in the 40's. 
  • Posted

Hi Stuart, I had the cardioversion procedure last month 16th October, there is no bigger 'softy' than me, I have major white coat syndrome and was scared stiff. My INR was just over 3 on the day. I had an ECG and BP taken, both were fine and I must say the nurses were fantastic. I went into the theatre, there I had the pads attached to me, front and back, the anaesthetic worked immediately and literally ten mins later I was coming round and the nurse was asking me if I wanted a cuppa. All that worrying for nothing. I am still fine, still in sinus rhythm, am seeing my cardiologist next week when I hope he will reduce or take me off the warfarin. Anyway, good luck Stuart, you will be fine. Cheers, Elaine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.