Waiting for colonoscopy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Have recently been feeling ill and tired all the time with fatigue and really excessive stomach gas (worst first thing in the morning) bad stomach pains, back ache at times nausea and alternating bowel habits - sometimes diarrhoea then constipation. Some of the symptoms have eased recently. I have had a couple of episodes of violent type of diarrhoea and bright red blood down the toilet and on toilet paper. Have recently done my first bowel screening test, which came back abnormal with blood in stools.

I do know from a previous sigmoidoscopy a few years ago that I have diverticulitis and hoping it is just that playing up and causing the problems. I am now awaiting a colonoscopy but just feeling really anxious in the meantime and looking for some help and advice from anyone who has felt the same. I have an iron overload issue called Haemachromotosis but my iron has been going low for quite a few months now but no reason why? Having an ultrasound scan done and full blood test to be done next week. Thanks for any advice in advance:)

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chelle69

If your iron is low then it will probably follow that your b12 is low too. If your b12 is low it can cause stomach problems, digestion problems and bowel problems. I would imagine your doctor will check for b12 levels when you have your blood tests. You just have to be patient and wait for the results. In the meantime try keeping a food diary to see if certain foods are problematic. Be aware of what you eat before you go to bed as you have pain and a build up of gas in the morning....hope the Ultrasound scan and blood tests reveal what is causing your problems....

• Posted

Hi Chelle044

The 'highs' are the good gut flora which is good...look at the wording in the blue line. So that is good..have you had your vits tested such as vit d, vit c and all b vits and electrolytes sodium and potassium....if the levels are not normal it could be the cause of your bowel problems...

• Posted

Hi Chelle69

Last reply meant for Sydonia044...my apologies....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.