Waiting for colonoscopy and in pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

HI there. I had what my GP thinks was a bout of diverticulitis about 6 weeks ago - lots of pain in left hand side, also in back, bleeding after BMs etc. he said he doesn't think it's cancer because I haven't experienced any sudden weight loss, and it's not my ovaries because I had a total hysterectomy. He said he was 99% certain it was diverticulitis, and gave me augmentin (though luckily I didn't have a fever). But because of the bleeding he sent me for an urgent colonoscopy. When I got there I was told they couldn't do it because it would be dangerous if it was within 6 weeks of a flare. So they booked me in for the end of January.

?My concern is that I keep getting pain again, which subsides if I go back onto clear fluids for a day or so. I'm in moderate pain now, but no fever. Do any of you have any advice please? Should I try to see my GP tomorrow to get more antibiotics or should I just go back onto clear fluids till it passes? And do I need to postpone my colonoscopy again?

Thank you - so glad to have found this group smile

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Louise, I have found that even if any infection has cleared up, it takes time for your bowel to heal up, hence the recurring pains. Try to stick to foods which are easy to digest, and avoid skins, pips, nuts and red meat for the time being at least. As your colonoscopy is not for a few weeks I would not postpone just yet, but see how you feel and how your BMs are in a couple of weeks. As always, if in doubt consult your doctor.
  • Posted

I wouldn't postpone your colonoscopy if you can help it. Go on clear fluids but also go talk to your DR   Let us know how you get on 

• Posted

Hi Louise I'm sorry to hear of your problems. If the pain keeps recurring I think you should see your GP irrespective of other considerations like diet. It is possible that there is an underlying cause (other than diverticulitis) which is not responding to the antibiotics alone. This may become clearer when the colonoscopy results are known so I wouldn't defer that further. There is a lot of advice about "resting" the colon or adoption of a low residue diet in the short or long term. None of these worked particularly for me but I did cut out all unprocessed lactose products like milk, cream and this I feel sure has helped. Incidentally I still have cheese and yoghurt without any ill effects. It's a process of trial and error for all of us as few people have the same symptoms and trigger foods. I wish you well. Regards Pete

• Posted

I wouldn't consider postponing your colonoscopy, as it's still 6 weeks away and a lot can happen in that time.  However I would probably go back to your doctor as sometimes a bout of diverticulitis needs more than one course of antibiotics.  Also the medication you were prescribed, although an antibiotic, was not the ones usually prescribed for diverticulitis.  They are Cefalexin 250mg capsules - 20 capsule - take 1 4 times a day (5 days) and Metronidazole 200mg tablets - 42 tablet - take 2 3 times a day (7 days).  Pain after an attack can last weeks or even months after the infection has gone, as there can still be inflammation.  Colonoscopies are not carried out if there is a suspicion that infection still exists.  I would also Google Low Residue Diet Food and look at the Wikipedia page.  Then I would try and follow that.  You will be put on it anyway before your colonoscopy.  It will also give your bowels a rest.  Best wishes.

• Posted

They suspected I had diverticulitis a few years ago and tried to do the colonoscopy with water and air after giving me a mind sedative. It hurt like crazy and they couldn't complete it. It was during a flare. I haven't had one since. I don't have that many issues tho but now I'm going to a GI doctor and I'm sure she will be ordering one soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.