waiting for dermoid to be removed

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've got a 7cm dermoid on my right ovary and am having the cyst and ovary removed in a couple of weeks. I have 4 children and have had heavy periods for years. Recently I started to get really bad pains mid cycle (presumably at ovulation) so saw my GP who arranged the scan which detected the cyst.  

The consultant tells me that the cyst has nothing to do with my periods being heavy or with the pain. He gave me the option of also having a hysterectomy or endometrial ablation. I've opted for the endometrial ablation as I don't want a surgical menopause. I'm dreading having the surgery even though its only laparoscopic.

At the moment I only get intermittent pain but somehow just don't feel right. Guess I'm probably just feeling sorry for myself or does anyone else know what I mean?

Also, I haven't reallly been told much about the op in terms of recovery (not been told much at all really. Last consultation very rushed, I'm not sure why the ovary itself needs to be removed and I felt under pressure to decide on the spot whether I wanted a hysterectamy.) Can anyone tell me if I will be OK to drive after a couple of days? or anything else that might be useful to know?

Thanks x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am 68 and had a cyst and ovary removed about ten years ago.  My cyst was the size of a billiard ball so I don't know if that's bigger or smaller than yours. I had had niggling pains in my side and was left for about a year to see if the cyst gew or went away.  After another bout of stronger pain I was admitted and the cyst and ovary were removed.  I think it took a few weeks to get back to normal and I certainly couldn't drive for a while or lift anything heavy (heavy being a full kettle).  When you've had something removed it takes a while for it to heal up, even though it may look healed from the outside.  I didn't have to think about a hysterectomy as I had had one some years before.  If I had been having heavy bleeding and also had four children I would certainly have gone for the hysterectomy!  So what if you have to take medication for menopause, to me that would be far better than the pain and inconvenience every month but I think they can remove the one ovary and the womb and leave the other ovary which would still work, mine does. The other advantage of the hysterectomy was that they also removed the cervix so no worries about cancer there although they can leave the cervix in which seems a bit silly to me.  I have only got two chldren but I swore that whatever happened I would have no more.  I had a prolapsed womb which was the reason for the operation.  Oh what bliss not to have periods anymore!

I think it was bad that you didn't have much time to think about a hysterectomy but, if you don't intend having any more children then, to me anyway, I saw no point in keeping my womb when I had no need of it anymore.  I hope everything goes OK.

• Posted

Hi.  I had a 9" dermoid and my ovary and fallopian tube removed by laparoscopy 8 months ago.  I know exactly what you mean about not feeling right....that feeling went once the dermoid had been removed.

I was out of the hospital approx 14 hours after I went in but I didn't drive for 3 weeks.  The doctor had told me I would be up and about as normal after a week but the nurse said that it would be more like 3-4 weeks (which was far more accurate).  You mustn't overdo things as it is quite a major op.  I don't know why the ovary needs to be removed, but I remember looking at some websites and seeing that a dermoid cyst appears to grow from within the ovary so is maybe embedded within it?  Maybe a more medical person than me will respond to your query. Good luck - you will feel better!

• Posted

Hi i had two cysts removed, my left ovary and falopian tube and 3/4 of my right ovary and the fatty wall that contains and protects our organs removed in december 2013.  Due to the large size of my cysts(25cm and 15cm after fluid drain) i had to have open surgery.  I was in hospital for 5 days after the operation but able to get up out of bed after 2 days.  I was shocked how quickly i felt better.  The terrible pains i had had basically disappeared overnight. 

I had to wait until 6 weeks after surgery to be able to drive(more due to insurance than how i felt) and after 2 months of recovery i was back working fulltime in my prison officer role.

The one thing i would just say it to listen to your body, if you start to feel any pains doing anything then stop and rest.  In terms of driving, check with your insurance company, as some won't cover you after having surgery until after a few weeks at least, especially if you are going under a general anaesetic.

I hope the proceedure goes well and you get the relief that i had.

• Posted

Thanks for your replies. I guess I'm just going to have to take it as it comes but get some summer holiday contingency plans in place in case its a longer recovery than I'm hoping for!
  • Posted

I HAVE A DERMOID CYST TOO! - I don't know why i was excited about that. Anyway, I have a roughly 5cm dermoid cyst in my right ovary, and I'm scheduled for a laparoscopy as well in a month ish. But I know what you're talking about, I get a strange ache or dull pain between cycles where I'm thinking am I ovulating? and I always get pain just before and after my period. But I think my consultant thinks it's due to my endometriosis and not the cyst, but strange that we both have it. I hope your surgery goes well! Having an ovary removed is strange, I'm not having mine removed.The consultant said it would have to be removed if there was uncontrollable bleeding during the surgery or something like that. I was told that my recovery period will be 2 weeks, yours may be longer due to the removed ovary. But i think you will definitely will not be ok to drive after a Couple days! You have to have someone to drive you home from the hospital anyway, and you'll be really tired - especially if they pump gas into you because your body is trying to repair itself and then has to get rid of the excess carbon dioxide in your body. At least wait a week before attempting to drive!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.