Waiting for diagnosis

Posted , 3 users are following.

long story. was diagnosed with severe vitamin D deficiency. thats now under control. symptoms still here.

GP has organised another blood test and ECG and if they come back negative he said i could have fibromyalga or ME.

my symptoms are:

Chronic fatigue,

pain in joints and muscles,

bowel changes like the wind,

mood swings,

low mood,

heart palpitations,

short term memory loss

brain fog

and after physical exercise I'm exhaust the next day.

i really struggle to get up in the mornings. luckily i work for myself but i cant afford sick time so im fighting these symptoms and getting worse it feels. my only option would be to close my company and find a part time job somewhere.

Thoughts?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Do some ME/Fibro research first. Essentially because any help you may receive from the NHS or wherever you are from is generally poor, you end up working it out for yourself. For work purposes I found it was still important to get an official diagnosis as well.

If it is ME/Fibro then the only times I have ever seen improvement is when I have looked after myself. That meant stopping work and resting as much as I could. Cutting out stress was key also as having a chronic illness is stressful enough. Research a healthier diet and experiment (the diet's we are pushed in 2019 are not always the healthiest despite the claims). Try to improve gut function.

How long have you been ill? Generally you get a ME diagnosis if you have been ill for 6 months or more. Your symptoms match but they also match so many other illnesses. Research is what I would recommend first as well as doing less and resting. Pushing will just make it worse.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I have had these symptoms for a few years. I had a horrendous phobia of needles which is why i never went to get checked out as i knew blood tests were needed. I then bit the bullet 3 years back, at my old doctors and he checked my iron levels. He said they were ok and that was it! i then changed doctors and after a car crash (non fault i must add!) symptoms carried on getting worse. They did more bloods and again, said iron is ok. after i got married we moved to a different area. I expressed my concearns to my GP before xmas and he explained he would do blood work and check for vitamin D which came back as extremely low. Even though its now under control the symptoms havent changed. The only thing that keeps me going is knowing my little girl and wife depend on me bringing the money in. Otherwise i would be asleep/resting most of the day!

• Posted

Not an expert but I think Vitamin deficiency can cause a lot of the symptoms you have so maybe your body will take some time to recover from that and get there eventually.

If you think it may be ME/Fibro though keep on at your Doctor to get an assessment (this is what I did in the UK) as a diagnosis, for what it is worth, at least gives you something if you need to claim for benefits.

The financial side with a young family is real pressure but ME does get worse if not managed correctly.

If you research and get a diagnosis and it persists (check out a place like the ME Association on the webs), you may need a lifestyle change to manage it. The health impact varies drastically between people though so you may find you can work but just less than your current load.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.