Waiting for hysterectomy

Posted , 7 users are following.

Please could you ladies tell me how long you waited for your op on the NHS iv been waiting scince sept

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I waited three months I had book and choose on NHS as I wanted a certain doctor who I knew was very good to do it and I had NHS in private hospital
  • Posted

Hi Annie,

A lot depends on what region you live in. Here in Brighton the waiting time is supppsed to be 18wks but they're behind so it was definitely in excess of 20. I ended up paying to go private!

You do have patients choice though so you can ask to be referred to a consultant at a local private hospital too, which not many people know about. I did get a referral through for this but my initial consultation wasn't going to be until the end of March so im not sure what the waiting time would.ve been for the op, probably not as long as the NHS hospital but still lengthy I guess....

• Posted

Thank you just wanted it done and back to normal by the 2nd July as going on holiday abroad
  • Posted

Hi Annie

I found out on 14th February that I was having mine on 7th April. When I was told I couldn't have ablation I decided on the hysterectomy. The consultant phoned her secretary to find out when the next available appointment was and that was it. She only phoned as she needed to work out when to start the injections to shrink the fibroids, I was a bit shocked to be honest.

I really hope you find out soon Annie

x

• Posted

How long have you waited are you having abdominal Iam being cut to ways across and up
    • Posted

I will have waited about 7 weeks by 7th April.

I'm having total abdominal but not sure what cut. She did say she might have to do a vertical but I don't know what will happen to determine what cut by the time I have the operation. I mean it's not as if I'm having another scan to see how big the fibroids are, what if the injections don't shrink them; how would she know? confused

Hopefully she will be giving me the second injection on Tuesday so I can ask her then, if not hopefully someone there can answer.

• Posted

Hi Annie,

Really sorry to hear about your wait - you need to get in touch with PALS through your local hospital and find out what is going on. I am waiting for a hysterectomy too - I saw my consultant in January and I had a pre-op today - but for some unexplicable reason - I still have absolutely no idea when my operation will be. I will be able to ring on Tuesday to find out - but was told it was probably 8 weeks away still. To be honest - why the hell do the pre-op that early????  I can completely understand your  frustration. I know of at least 2 people in my area whose pre-op test ran out and they had to do them again!!! Do try the PALS = they are there for complaints and to help you when you are getting nowhere. I would also be bending my GP;s ear too - this is not acceptable. Good luck!!!

• Posted

I think I was very lucky. From the time I went to the hospital which was in August last year, I had an ultra sound scan, then saw the Surgeon on the same day who recommended a CT scan to get a better picture and measurement of the cyst.  That took place the week after, the week after that I had a pre-op assessment and had the hysterectomy on the 21st September, a vertical incision.  So all in all, it was very quick.  I think it all depends on which area in which you live.  I live in Devon.  They were all fantastic.  No problems at all and what was quite wonderful, no external stitches, all done from the inside, magic.

I would phone the hospital and make a few enquiries as to how much longer you will have to wait, perhaps they will be able to give you some idea.

Here's hoping it won't be much longer for you.

By the way, I feel absolutely great now.

• Posted

I've been waiting for my op since December 2016. I wish I know how far am I on the waiting list.

• Posted

Hi there! I called my consultants secretary to get my date. I am down for surgery next Friday 21st. If you don't have a number for them try the PALS service at your hospital. I used them as my operation paperwork did not turn up by post. They were really helpful and in my case, very nice. Failing that - contact your GP and ask them if they have any idea what's happening. You are way beyond the standard 18 weeks waiting time. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Glennie68.

Thank you for you advice. I called direct line secretary in the last two weeks asked to speak to my consultant. I was told to leave the messages, but no one every get back to me. I saw my GP on Wednesday but it was a wasted journey. I'll try to contact them again next week.

Good luck for your operation!

• Posted

Then PALS will be your best option - I e-mailed my local hospital department with all my details and my problem - they replied as soon as the department was open (usually normal Monday- Friday - hours will be shown on hospital website) if you include a telephone number they should ring you. They are obliged to get answers on your behalf - that's their job. It doesn't mean your are raising a complaint - but if you get nowhere you can - but in my experience they resolved my issues within a day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.