Waiting for resection surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I recently learn that i need another surgery for my large bowel, it is 18cm narrowed and they couldn't finish the colonoscopy because of that and the strictures. Until then i have to be very careful of what i eat to prevent blocking... what food should i not eat, or that could cause a blockage?

Thank you for your advice

Annie

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am in a similar position. I was advised to eat a low-residue or low-fibre diet. There is lots of advice on the Internet if you google this. I started with salmon (no skin), chicken (no skin), carrot (boiled to within an inch of its life and mashed), Rice Krispies, white rice, yogurt (no bits in it).   I have added in peaches (out of a tin, soft, no peel), banana, sweet potato and ordinary potato (mashed), butternut squash. Looking at the foods allowed on a low-residue diet, I think I am being overly cautious, but my blockage scared me to death! I am adding new things to my diet very slowly, mashing everything or at least chewing it really well! The surgeon told me to be very careful with fruit and veg, not even eating citrus fruit because all the fibrous bits between each segment can cause problems. I have also asked for an apt to see a dietician because I am concerned I am likely to be a bit nutrition deficient. I also eat French toasts with some honey on and a plain shortcake biscuit as a treat! I apparently have Crohn's which is extensive and face having the whole bowel and some of small intestine removed. I also read that this may make a person more likely to be lactose intolerant. I don't know if I am but I have replaced milk and spread with lactose-free varieties. One other thing, I have started to drink some fruit juice (no bits) for Vit C. Hope this helps a little. 

• Posted

Wow....what amazing dedication to your health and recovery. I just wanted to say well done you. I know how hard it is to change your diet and take responsibility for your health management. I'm sure your words of advice will be an inspiration.

I really hope you get the right treatment plan going forward. But whatever happens, it sounds like you are onto it!

I wish you well

Hannah

• Posted

Hi annie, sorry to hear youre not doing so well.

I was on low res low fibre last year..

My diet sheet

Plain biscuits custard creams borbouns rich tea

Fish pie

All.potatoes no skins

Well mashed carrots swede (i couldnt eat them myself)

Rice crispies frosties

White breads

Tinned fruit

Custard

Someones suggested seet potota but they have high fibre content

Strained soups

Tuna

White pasta

White rice

Well cooked meats

All eggs

A glass of vit c enriched squash as it helps digest the iron

Spaghetti hoops

Cheese

No bit yogurts

I lived on scramled eggs mac n cheese and fish pie.

Good luck and i hope you dont wait too long for your surgery x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.