Waiting for rhumatogist app in three weeks

Posted , 5 users are following.

about a month ago I suffered a horrific flare in my right shoulder only able to cope when lying down pain in other shoulder wrists large joints in feet. I now realise I ve had tgese flares before just didn't realise what they were. X Ray on shoulder showed determination since last x Ray and bloods showed raised RF . I've not been too bad last few weeks bearable fatigue not too bad but in the last week ive had some low grade temp and the pain is slowly increasing . I ve only been given naproxen , ibubrofen and used Mobic last time . Can any one tell me if I can avoid they lare I am certain is coming please.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Try and not panic. I have started to look at some interesting diet stuff. Check out the paddison diet. Brilliant for Ra
  • Posted

Hi Christine 

has it got worse since the rheumy appointment was made? Is there any way you could have an earlier appointment/ cancellation?

You only mention using painkillers, but what you describe sounds pretty awful and sure the rheumy can help you with further med.

for me ,in a flare, hot shower, hot water bottles help plus maximum allowed dose of pain killers through 24 hours. plus rest, which is kind of forced on you anyway if everything hurts and seizes up, but I still try to keep  joints moving without putting extra strain on them as research has shown keeping joints moving helps .

sorry to hear you are in pain

• Posted

I use Hot water too at least twice daily and I am lucky enough to have a hot tub helps a lot actually . Pain is manageable presently I was just looking for information re flare ups and if there is any way to hold them off

i ve struggled to get referred to the rheumatologist until the raised RF .

Thanks for replying it's helpful x

• Posted

I understand your fear Christine. I too have RA in my shoulders and day before yesterday I felt one coming on. I tried to get ahold of my doctor but he was on vacation so I ended up going to a minor emergency clinic. I was given tramadol and medrol pack. The tramadol tore me up even with food. Nobody seems to understand the pain except another RA person. The doctor seemed skeptical that i had RA and told me it is unusual for the shoulders. I am bold now so I told him I've had it 8 times now, I pretty much now what I've got. I know he didn't believe me but I really didn't care and was prepared to go to the ER if that is what it takes. Mine seems to always happen on Friday nights so there is no way  (anymore) that I am willing to wait until Monday to get an appt for the next week. Call your doctor and be insistant on getting something or go to a minor ER clinic. If you have to, go to the ER. You have to take charge because from what I've seen nobody in the medical field seems to care if you are in pain.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your kind words and information my current issues are manageable I just live in fear of a flare returning now after the last one debilitated me so much.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.