Waiting for surgery on large abdo cyst 22yr female looking for information

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am going for my pre op next Thursday and wanted some information on what questions I should ask when I go to my pre op as I am really nervous and this is the first surgery and medical problem I have ever had. As I am 22 I would appreciate anyone round my age with any information as when I have looked online it has more information on women having this surgery after hitting menopause. I am also loosing one ovary and they have said I could lose the two what are the chances of losing the both. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks Georgie

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Georgie, 

I'm 23 and had a 20cm ovarian cyst and my right ovary removed by key hole last week. It has been my first medical problem too and I was definetly really nervous! As I was only having one ovary removed, all the drs assured me that our bodies really quickly adjust to just having one ovary and there isn't really any major hormonal adjustment etc. 

I would ask a bit more about the procedure they have planned. How likely is it that you will have both ovaries removed? If you do, what aftercare plan are they going to put in place? Will you be having follow up appointments? When? You could also ask if you are having key hole (laparoscopy) or not - as this will affect how long it will take you to recover? They should also be able to tell you how long you will be in hospital, what to expect from the day etc. 

Good luck! 

• Posted

Hi!

I'm 24 and I had a 26cm cyst removed via a laparotomy a little over 3 weeks ago. It was my first surgery as well and I was super nervous but it really is a lot easier than you think!

Few questions:

How big is your cyst?

Do you know what type of cyst it is?

Have you had a ultrasound or CT scan done?

Are you seeing a gynecologist oncologist surgeon? (Highly recommend, best in the field!)

Take a note pad with a bunch of questions and go through each question with your surgeon. They will also probably send you for a pre-op assesment and take some bloodwork from you. My surgeon also told me it was possible I could lose one or both of my ovaries but when they opened me up, the cyst was no longer attached to anything and they managed to remove it through a 3inch incision on my bikini line which is almost healed.

Your time in the hospital will depend on the type of surgery you have (laparotomy versus lapascopic) but I'd say anywhere from a day to 4 days. I was in the hospital for 2 and a half days however they were prepared to let me leave the day after surgery, but I wasn't ready.

I would discuss the plan with your surgeon and ask why they feel like they might need to remove ovaries. In my case, it was due to the size of the cyst. If avoidable, I would elect to keep them unless they think the cyst could be malignant at all.

They will also take a biopsy of your cyst during surgery to rule out malignancy. My cyst turned out to be fluid-filled and benign, as they predicted.

You will have a catheter put in once you're asleep and an IV put in while you're awake.

If you'e get nervous before surgery, let them know and they'll likely give you something called Versed. You will hardly remember anything after that and everything will be wonderful. :P

Good luck!

• Posted

Georgie,

With you being so young the primary questions should be

Does the surgeon have excellent cystology skills?

Is he/she going to try and save the ovary? If not get a second opinion.

Whey are they flagging the other ovary for possible removal? No cyst? Then why?

Type of incision? And my question for ypu - have you had an MRI?

• Posted

Hi there,

Im 23 and 9 weeks post op from getting 10cm dermoid cysts removed off each ovary. I was told initially they there was a chance I would lose both ovaries. I did A LOT of research to find a great surgeon, and he saved both ovaries (well about half of each one!). I had a laparotomy as they deemed it the safer option considering the size of the two complex cysts. I asked heaps of questions, including worst case scenarios such as what if both ovaries can't be saved (I was trying to concieve so this was definitely worst case scenario), plus other questions like about complications, if my periods would become less painful/heavy/long, and DEFINITELY ask about after care. I didn't and I didn't receive much advice regarding this. I asked nurses T the hospital how to get out of bed (as you can sit up straight), about sleeping, what drugs they would suggest (as I have allergies) and length of hospital stay, when I could return to work, when I could start trying to concieve again etc. unfortunately I did have complications and ended up I hospital for 12 days. I don't want to scare you as it is very unlikely but I would have wanted to know if others had experienced this. A blood vessel wasn't closed properly in the initial surgery. I had left hospital that morning but went into the emergency department that night in septic shock. I developed a huge collection of blood which turned into a huge clot in cavity left from where're larger cyst was. Septic shock is life threatening. I was in convulsions constantly, had crazy high temps and couldn't even stand, the pain was that bad. I had to neon antibiotics for 2 days before they could operate again. I returned to theatre and the whole wound was reopened and drained. I lots so much blood and needed a transfusion. I was so sick and couldn't eat and lost 8kg in 7 days! After the surgery a had this gross drain hanging out the wound removing any excess blood from the area. I was out 8 days after my return to hospital. It was such an ordeal to go through when I was healthy going into surgery and expected it to go smoothly. Sorry, not wanting to scare you but just wanted to tell you my experience. Good luck xx

• Posted

Bryanna,

Hopefully 9 weeks later you are healed and feeling more human. I doubt you feel 100% yet but I hope you are functioning and getting stronger.

• Posted

I would seek a second opinion before letting someone take both ovaries not only for reproductive reasons but because of other issues that this will cause. I'm 22 and just found out I have a dermoid cyst they want to remove. Please update me on how you're doing

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.