Waiting game and praying !!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Reading some of the journeys on here fills me with hope at least !!!!!! 

I’m on 50mg Sertraline and been taking for 3 weeks or just over.  So far I’ve had 4 days after week 2 where I felt so good now back to edgy, negative thoughts and paranoia. Was dissapointed as I thought after week 2 it was levelling out. My life is upside down I tried to deal with anxiety for 2 months before getting help and I’m starting to forget what normal feels like..... I have 2 small children and a wife which is the hardest bit. I’m praying something changes by week 6.... in the meantime I feel mentally exhausted and scared of what each day will bring! 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It is early days. I'm on week 5 / 6 and have just gone up to 75mg. Waking up sweaty dry mouth ..had a stomach upset . These were my side effects in the first weeks which had lessened. I'm hoping they dont last as long. However my anxiety has all but gone. I still can't face going into shops or work but the anxiety seems to be lifting. Sertraline is a waiting game. Patience is needed. Don't rush the dose increases drink plenty of water and take med at same time every day.

Good luck and keep posting

🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄

• Posted

Cheers Hoopz

Sounds like you are on the right track - look forward to see how you get on as you’re a few weeks ahead of me. 

My anxiety doesn’t sound as intrusive - I can go to the shops even though my moods low making it uncomfortable and I have to work as my job would be unbeatable if I went off. Work in fact is very hard indeed.....I have some days where I feel I’m carry round a lead weight on my shoulders, most days in fact. 

Or also developed paranoia about my marriage - thinking things that aren’t happening ... hate it 

Best of luck 

• Posted

Phil1980

I think my not going in shops stems from having a full blown panic attack in my local post office. It totally floored me. I had been having problems going shopping before that ..i always use a shopping trolley and a few times I've had to come out without buying anything. I put it down to exhaustion and working nights etc etc and didn't even know it was a panic attack. I thought I had a virus. Anyway I've gone up to 75mg for the last 2 days and i slept last night without a sleeping tablet for 7 hours. I woke up with bad anxiety and in a pool of sweat. I felt like death. Lay in bed for about 2 hours feeling yuck. I'm hoping these side effect go quicker this time. I am not suffering from depression but i will be at this rate !!

Feeling a bit better now and wondering whether to take my sert a little earlier ..i take it at 8 at night.

May the force be with us

🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄

• Posted

Well good luck again - keep us updated .... I’m finding Sertraline makes me sweat with the slightest of exercise .... 

No depression here either - I actually feel a little better today but been here before ! Inbetween feeling anxious and low i feel very normal which is teasing to say the least :s 

• Posted

You will get there. It took me until week 9 before I felt totally in control of my mind/life again. I definitely turned a corner by week 8 though. Those 8 weeks were the hardest I’ve ever been through but what helped was staying busy and exercise. I made sure to constantly be doing something so my mind wasn’t obsessing over how I felt. I couldn’t even drive for those 8 weeks. Everything will fall into place though! I’m driving again and feeling like the old me. Sertraline does work. Unfortunately it takes time but it’s worth the wait!
    • Posted

Hi heather 

Wow this was good to read , thanks !

When you say it was worst 8 weeks, was it worse before you started taking them? I feel generally better on them albeit not good but my attacks have stopped. 

• Posted

Wow heather50974 that is great to know. I'm 3 weeks in and I'm slowly starting to feel better I haven't had a panic attack the last few days but still do not feel like myself. I also have not driven and conserned if I will be able to. Reading your story gives me hope😊

• Posted

I’m glad! When I was impatiently awaiting Sertraline to kick in I would search for forums like this and try to find positive stories to give me hope. I went straight to 100mg with no gradual building up and I think that’s why it took me 8wks to feel okay again. It was like a switch flipped and I was powerful and in control of my life again. Today I drove 30 miles on my day off just to go shopping alone...something I haven’t done in over 3 months. This medicine saved me.
  • Posted

I hear you! Unfortunately studies have shown that the full benefits of antidepressant generally may take as long as 8 to 12 weeks, depends on the person, in the meantime you have to realize that you have this disease and accept it, what I mean by that is you control it not the other way around, when things get tough concentrate and awaken your hidden will power, this is just a roadblock that you're going to pass, your family is behind you, friends, family, (LIFE). Remember we're strong when we do this, this is how I look at life and I always tell myself nothing is going to bring me down, I want to enjoy life, I guess I'm an optimistic, a half glass full type of person :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.