Waiting List for Rheumatology Clinic

Posted , 6 users are following.

Subject: Waiting List for ClinicMy GP recently diagnosed my RA following a CCP blood count of over 300 and constant pains in my wrists, thumbs and toes. She sent an letter to the rheumatology clinic in our local hospital, stating Urgent Referral. I phoned the hospital today as I haven't slept in 3 weeks, waking 4-5 times a night because of wrist pain. I am devastated to be told the waiting list is 10 MONTHS for an appointment! I'm 47, mum of 4, self-employed with 2 jobs, and I feel very low. With a history of depression to boot I don't know how long I can cope with this constant pain. Work is excruciating as I'm a baker & cake designer. Sorry for the rant everyone, but I just need to get this off my chest.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

blimey! I only had to wait a couple of months! Has GP given you any pain meds?
    • Posted

Yes, but they only take the edge off the pain, but as my work involved my hands and wrists alot I don't really get full benefit.
    • Posted

What meds are you taking? You often need a combination. I take codeine, naproxen, Nefopam and occasionally paracetamol.
    • Posted

have you tried the pain relief gels? Or using cold pads or heat pads? What pain meds have you been given? I have naproxen, paracetamol and codine so I can vary amounts depending on pain. I also use compression gloves which are FAB and have extended my working hours.
    • Posted

oh and wrist braces too for days when I have 'heavier' things to do with my wrists like traveling and lifting bags or driving etc...
    • Posted

I'm on Naproxen too, but I have coeine in the house. Do you think I can take both then? My work means I can't wear gloves or gels, but I have tried wearing gloves in bed. I work 7 nights a week so unfortunately my hands get little rest. In the last wek my wrists have started making cracking noises. Is this normal with RA?
    • Posted

I wasn't sure about combining Naproxen and codein.
    • Posted

Yes that's fine. You can take them both together. Just be careful with Naproxen it can give you a bit of abdominal pain sometimes. My GP prescribed Omeprazole to combat that. 
    • Posted

Yes, I have Omeprazole, and I haven't had any stomach pains at all. I just wish I had less pain. I'll try codein going to bed tonight. Thank you for your advice.
    • Posted

Take your  naproxen as well as the codeine and see if you can get on top of the pain. Then tomorrow write that letter. 
    • Posted

Remember to quote the 18 week (maximum) waiting time from GP referral. Look online to quote the wording if you need to and don't forget the copies to  your MP and CEO at the hospital. Put cc at the bottom of your letter to local health authority so they know you mean business. Good luck.
  • Posted

The maximum waiting time following GP referral is 18 weeks. Those are the Department of Health guidelines. Write to your local health authority. Tell them you are making an official complaint and send a copy to your MP and the Chief Executive of the hospital. That is an absolute disgrace.
    • Posted

That's a good idea. I found out via Google search that the hospital consultant has a private clinic close by so I'm guessing he wants to encourage the desperate down the private route. Thank you for that advice. I plan to ring my GP in the morning, but I will definitely write a letter las you suggested. Thank you.
  • Posted

Hi Janice

I know how your feeling. I have had two total wrist replacment best thing I had done. No more pain! My wrist are so much better and you really would not know that I have had them done. I had the same problem could not sleep slightest movement was so painful. Why have you got to wait so long? 

• Posted

I don't know. The appointments dept of my hospital told me thta 10 months is their standard wait at the moment. From what I've read about RA time is of the essence.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.