Waiting on dermatologist appt

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all I'm seeking support and any advice in this as it as been a rough journey for me and I am still new. Here is some background info I am a 28 year old female that suffers from RA have tried many meds but the side effects are worse than the disease so I cope with it. So.. This all began about 6 months ago with a itchy patch just above my jawline about the size of a penny or smaller which I swore was ringworm as I've had it before and so have my kids I started treating with an antifungal and used it for a few weeks but the spot kept getting bigger. I didn't think to much of it because I've had ringworm that took several weeks to get rid of I just kept on with the treatment. During a routine Drs visit she noticed it and said it should be clearing up by now and gave me a different cream which inflamed it and made it so much worse she then suggested a steroid antifungal cocktail which I used for a couple weeks and it totally went away! Well two weeks later it came back with a vengeance and it was spreading but always only one spot. I've never had more than one. I went back to my dr and he said it thinks it's GA and I need to see the dermatologist well I can't get in for an appointment for another two months and this is spreading like crazy ON MY FACE! (It's about the size of a dinner plate now) All the creams they have given me have done nothing or made it worse and it's so bad I want to cry when I look in the mirror. It itches and burns and every day I wake up afraid to see how much bigger it had gotten. Has anyone ever had this in only one spot. Is there anything I can do to spot the spreading? I read about apple cider vinegar and tea tree oils I'm going to pick some up tomorrow and try that any ideas info will help. Thanks.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Make sure a biopsy shows GA before you decide that's the problem. The location is not typical GA. I've found that Sun exposure helps my GA, and not much else seems to help. Many years trying topical with little success.

• Posted

Hello, for what it's worth, here is a topical cream/ointment which worked for me on my hand so quickly that I almost didn't believe it.  A friend sent me some manuka honey 20+ therapeutic cream 10% in an aqueous base and another in an ointment base.  If you can't purchase this, you could probably get a local honey, not boiled or pasteurised, and mix your own.  However, a chemist/pharmacy might sell the medi-honey in a convenient tube.
  • Posted

Hi so sorry to hear it is on your face it is rare for GA as the other post said. It makes sense that it may be GA because just like RA it is your immune system attacking your own tissue in this case it is believed it is attacking the collagen in your skin. I have had GA for 2 years and have tried everything so I know what does and doesn't work (for me at least). I am taking plaquenil and my GA is FINALLY under control thank God.

Based on what I went through, if I were you I would skip everything else and get on plaquenil. It will take 2 to 3 months to work but it's safe and it works.

In the meantime maybe your doctor would be willing to give you prednisone which also works but can only be used short term.

i am hoping my GA will go into remission or better yet just GO AWAY. Good luck to you and hang in there it will get better, also winter months are better than summer....

• Posted

carboo'be sure it's not cellulitis on your face, face is rare for GA but happens..I have GA, thought it moved to my face but it was GA!  Go to emergency hospital right away...if its cellulitis it's very serious and contagious and spreads if not treated!!

now...when I went to Hospital, I was put on extreme Antibotics..strange thing my GA cleared up while I was on them!  Mine is in remission now for a whole month and that's a first...tea tree mixed with Calendula GEL, ocean water helped me a lot?

• Posted

There are 2 things to consider:  1) GA does not usually itch or burn, and rarely starts on the face.  It may actually be Dermatitis herpetiformis which may look similar to GA and is very itchy.  It is caused by Celiac or gluten sensitivity, which can be diagnosed by a blood test.  You should have this test before going on a gluten free diet because it may not be accurate if you have been off gluten for a while.  2) Have you had any dental work recently, before this started?  I had 2 episodes of GA following dental work.  I believe it is caused by mercury.  "Silver" fillings are 50% mercury which is extremely toxic.  Most dentists are unaware or don't care and just drill through it as though it was inert.   I never had any itching or burning with my GA.  In both cases it went away within 5 - 7 years.  I believe it is the body's way of getting rid of mercury, usually by transporting it as far as possible from the vital organs to the hands and feet where it comes out through the thin skin on the back of the hands and tops of the feet.
  • Posted

Since this was relieved to some extent by an anti-fungal cream then the likelyhood of it being fungal in origen is very high. Therefore I suggest you try an anti-fungal oral medication like Itraconazole.
  • Posted

Hi Carboo so sorry you have GA I also have RA and alittle over a year ago started with GA. I had a biopsy to confirm. It is now all over my body and mine itches and burns. I do not as of yet have on my face. I have been on prednisone and it got worse after that. Now I put steroid cream and my doctor put me on low carb diet. I have been on for six weeks now. Seems alittle better. But the doctor said it would take at least six months to tell. I hope you find the answers and the cure. I am also using tea tree soap . Was told that will help. Good luck keep checking in it has helped me to know I am not alone and I find out new things to try.
  • Posted

be careful what creams you put on...I have it all over my legs, up both sides

of my body, under my breasts, and the juncture of both legs, I can't wear

underwear, it burns and itches at times then it doesn't...I have tried the

tea tree oil, that really inflamed it, I have tried apple cider vinegar both

spraying it on and taking it once a day...didn't work, I bought some Aloe Vera

spray and sprayed it on my legs, it does relieve the itching and burning for

a while, I am currently taking a variety of supplements every single day

for the immune system, and it seems to be calming down a bit..so I don't

know what supplements I'm taking is helping, but I'm not going to stop

taking any of them for a while and see what happens, burning and itching

is stopping but the red circles and bumps are still there, but they seem to be

flattening down into one big red spot in some places, so it looks like a burn,

maybe it will fade away after that..who knows...all I know is it is the worst

disease let alone frustrating because nothing works. Don't have it on my

face....that would really be scary...good luck...keep watching these forums,

alot of support here. You're not alone in this..

• Posted

I wonder if what you have is really GA, which rarely itches or burns.  Look into Dermatitis herpetiformis, which looks like GA but does itch and burn severely.  It is an autoimmune disorder caused by gluten, often associated with Celiac disease. Misdiagnoses are more common than you think.
  • Posted

Hello! I was diagnosed with GA about 9 months ago. It started as a few circles on my stomach and a few on my legs. It was confirmed by biopsy. I was given a steroid cream and told to use it sparingly as it thins the skin. They said it will not hurt me and there is no cure. I also have fibromyalgia and CFS and scoliosis so I have a lot of pain. I have been taking pain pills for at least 3-4 years regularly. I also had a swelling on my forehead and left eye one night. I went to ER for fear of going into anaphylactic shock. I know this is long but bear with me. I feel it is important. I ended up at an allergist. I went through a series of tests for allergies. Come to find out I am allergic to meat from a tick bite! So I accepted that and quit eating meat, no problem it could be worse. I don't have cancer. Anyway my daughter was getting married at our house on our land! The wedding was big and so important to me. I was very stressed out. My husband and I worked like crazy to get the property perfect. During all this the GA was spreading over my stomach, lower belly area, thighs and a little on my arms. I had asked my doctor to increase my pain pills as I was in so much pain from working so hard. So then I was taking 4 pain pills a day! The rash became angry and some nights I couldn't sleep because my skin hurt! Now the wedding is over and the pressure is off. I can concentrate on myself. The rash is taking over my body. Spreading down my legs. It seemed to kind of stay under my clothes area as when I wore shorts it stopped there. Now that its colder I'm wearing longer pants and it is spreading down my legs. I found this forum and found a post about wheat and gluten. So I stopped eating gluten for about 2 weeks now. The rash has calmed down but its still there. I continue to rack my brain for a solution. I have used the vinegar as well with no help really. I remembered the brochure saying it could be caused by an insect bite. My friend the tick that caused me to be allergic to meat! Then I was thinking about everything the allergist said to me the day of all the tests. I was there for 6 and a half hours. I was put on a low histamine diet. My blood work confirmed my meat allergy so I went off the low histamine diet. Then I remembered as I was racking my brain about causes and cures for this rash that has taken over my body. I looked up opiates and can they cause rashes. Sure enough I got into a pain pill forum. Opiates are histamine releasers! Histamines cause you to break out in hives or rashes. So now I do have van appointment with a new dermatologist near me. I live an hour away from the city. Anyway I am looking into light therapy along with low histamine, gluten free meat free diet. I am tapering myself off pain pills also. That is a challenge in itself. I will do anything to get rid of this rash! I try not to let it take over my life. My faith in God helps. He is sending me answers every day! Sorry this is so long but its my whole story. Also when I was getting my blood drawn the lab tech said she has eczema on her arms. She got the OK from dermatologist to tan in a tanning bed twice a week aka light therapy. I am going to ask dermatologist about me tanning since my whole body is covered with the rash! I can tell you if you want answers go to these discussion forums. That is where you will find your answers from other people with the same afflucitions. I hope my story helps. It has been a long road that has not ended yet but I feel I am getting closer to the answer and cure! Good luck to you and don't give up!
  • Posted

Thank you all for the support I have been tested for Celiac through my rheumatologist so it has no relation to a gluten allergy I should have mentioned that in the original post. Also there is no discharge and it is mostly flat other than the raised edges so I'm pretty sure it's not cellulitis as I've seen first hand what that looks like and I know it gets pretty nasty looking! It would be nice to be able to post a picture here. I will keep you all posted my appt isn't until December so I'm in this for the long haul. You are all so strong for dealing with this for such long period of time it is not any easy thing. Thank you again you have brought me such piece of mind. -Carly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.