Waiting results....please help

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I am new to the forum and feeling quite anxious and scared at the moment. Ultrasound showed fatty liver, but normal size, spleen pancreas and gall bladder all reported as fine. A MRI with contrast has now been carried out "for assurance" (bloods all fine as well) I get the results next week. Can any one tell me what MRI tells you more than an Ultrasound? My only sympton is intermitent upper right abdominal twinges. These are definately worse after alcohol but I can still feel them albeit less intermitently after no alchol for couple of months. Otherwise fit and healty. Many thanks for your anticipated replies!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lucy, apart from being a shed load more expensive, ultrasound is a live as it happens image and MRI is more static by bouncing hydrogen atoms all over the you (in a safe way) with magnets. MRI is a bit better at distinguishing subtle differences in tissue and has more clarity than US. It's better for looking at organs because it picks up muscle, blood vessels, ligaments etc... or that's my understanding. Just look at the 2 pics under US and MRI on this link...you'll see what I mean!

http://www.brighamandwomens.org/Research/labs/cebi/bestcare/difference.aspx

• Posted

hi lucy i also  got diagnosed with a slightly fatty liver, and was advised by doc, to go on a low fat diet .i have also started a liver detox, twice a day by drinking lime or lemon juice first thing in morning and middle of the afternoon. I also  take milk thistle twice a day , since starting on this detox i have had no reccurence of the awful bloating and uncomfortable throbbing in my right side .My gall bladder was removed 10 years ago  but i only had to have an ultra  sound , no MRI was mentioned . so it could be which ever doctor you have and what they recommend. .
    • Posted

Hi Wendy I took milk thistle for a year after being diagnosed with fatty liver...unfortunaly I didn't feel any benifits from milk thistle but at the time i had red about it and thought I would give it a go...however that was a few years ago and I have now progressed to non-alcoholic cirrhosis with a grossly enlarged liver...it sounds as tho you are at the beginning of your jurney and I wish you well 
  • Posted

Hi Wendy , thank you for the reply can i ask where you get your milk thistle from and what dosage you take. Presume you live in UK. Looked at so many posts where milk thistle is suggested but always at a loss about dosage etc. Thank You  
  • Posted

Hi Lucy, I put a link in an earlier reply so its been being moderated for hours......!!

He mri is more expensive but shows crisper quality imags as it can highlight subtle differences in tissue composure and is good for spesific organd because it can see the individual blood vessels, muscle, sinew etc. With greater clarity. It it more of a picture though, where the US is live movement as its happening. Due to my condition (liver transplant) I had to have CT scans even higher up the scale. This is because they needed to see all ths vessels they were going to cut /reattach new liver to very clearly (theyd be blurry on an US and I had a spinal cord stimulator in my back which means I cant go in an mri machine because it would turn my stimulator kit on and off 400 times a second and cook me inside out!!

Oes that help swetie? All thd best with it.....hard to say, but really dont worry until they come back with a result. Godspeed, thinking of you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.