Waiting time

Posted , 14 users are following.

After ending up in A&E in severe pain and unable to walk, I was told I needed a hip replacement but needed to be referred by my GP.  I saw my GP at the end of October and he referred me .  I got to see a consultant at the end of January only to be told the waiting list is a year.  I have since been told by the the waiting list co ordinator that the wait starts from the time of consultation not from time of referral.  This means I will have to wait until at least next January.  I am practically housebound now and in a lot of pain.

Is there anyone who was referred at the same time as me and are you having to wait as long.

2 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It’s horrible having to wait so long. I was the same. My hip collapsed in Oct 2016 and my operation was two weeks short of a year later. I took strong painkillers and did as much exercise as I could manage to prepare myself for the surgery. I found water exercise in the pool the best as it took all pressure off the joint and helped to circulate the fluid in the hip which eased the pain somewhat. I also managed to do very modified Pilates and Yoga. I was really fit by the time I had surgery and have had a very good recovery as a result. It was a really painful and miserable wait and my life was so restricted but unless you can afford to pay privately that’s the situation. I learned a lot from this forum and I would advise you to research the surgeon you have been referred to on the national joint registry. The number of hip replacements they do per year is a good indicator of successful outcomes. The more the better. I swapped surgeons as a result of my research. 

Good luck

Ann

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Ann.

I will certainly give the water exercise a try and will have a look at the joint registry.

I do try to keep reasonably fit but it's very difficult when movement is so restricted.

Pleased you had a good recovery and continue to improve.

• Posted

I know it’s so hard to exercise when you are in severe pain. The only thing that eased the pain fully was Tramadol but I was fit for nothing if I took that. (I did use it post op for a week but had help at home.) Naproxen eased it enough to get to the gym and get in the pool but I hated taking that stuff. It allowed me to struggle around with my walking stick and do modified exercise. It’s very disheartening. I think that there is a backlog because of the government cancelling all the hip ops in January when the NHS was struggling for beds so badly. You can opt to have surgery at some private hospitals under NHS choices which is what I ended up with. The surgeon I wanted was available at a private hospital that took NHS referrals. I still had to wait a long time but that’s probably because I only wanted that particular surgeon. He was fantastic though and I’m like a completely different person now 6 months post op. Good luck

Ann

• Posted

In the UK, waiting times vary a lot, depending on your location.

Mine was much quicker back in 2015, even though I delayed it a couple of months as I wanted to celebrate our 40 year wedding anniversary in style.

I suspect that waiting times may be longer now than they were 3 years ago.

Graham

• Posted

You are correct, certainly much longer wait now.

I know 2 people who had hip replacements in 2015 and waited just 16 weeks.

Hope your 40th anniversary went with a swing.

• Posted

I think stopping elective surgery over the winter when the NHS had problems did not help. Making the queues even longer. I know several people who have gone to France privately for surgery where it is cheaper than here. I am not sure if I would be prepared to do that or not.
    • Posted

I did ask my GP about going to the hospital in Calais that , apparently, deals with NHS patients

but he said all he knew about it was what he'd read in the papers.

He didn't think it was a very good idea and, given the distance , not sure if I want to attempt that.

You are correct about stopping the elective surgery over the winter, it's made a big difference.

• Posted

Not sure I want to go to another country, it's bad enough at home if something goes wrong, let alone abroad.

Agreed about the remarks concerning stopping the elective surgery over the winter, it has not been good for those waiting.

• Posted

Where do you live in the UK?

I live in W Sussex & went to my GP beg December 2017 & saw consultant mid January who said he could fit me in before Easter but I had other plans so going in tomorrow

• Posted

I live on the Bucks/Northants border and it seems to be the same problem with all hospitals  in these areas.

Good luck for your op.  Hope all goes well and you have a swift recovery.

• Posted

Have you discussed with your G.P. having surgery in other parts of the country where the waiting list is shorter or offering to go at short notice for a cancellation. Also start pre-habing now for a swify recovery.

Good luck,

Basil

• Posted

I am on the waiting list for cancellations but that seems to be almost as long as the ordinary list.

My doctor is trying took get me seen sooner but not having much success.

Thanks Basil

Linda

• Posted

I was told I had to wait 36 weeks to see consultant, 6 months for getting onto waiting list, and further 6 months for operation

I paid £10000 had it done in 4 weeks , I was in so much pain

• Posted

I don't blame you, I would too if I had the money.

Thanks for your reply.

• Posted

Hi Linda it was done on NHS it was my lovely Physiotherapist that wrote the letter she obviously new the key words to use as it reduced my waiting time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.