Wake up constantly gasping for air - can't sleep - extremely concerned-

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello.  I can use any help or suggestions as to why and what's causing this to happen to me:

For the last few months, I have been experiencing (on and off, but more frequently lately) a sudden feeling of suffocation, like I can't get enough air into my lungs.  It's a feeling of like - the air in my room is thin, or not  enough to breath in through my nose, and I have to jump out of bed, Open the front door, take in big breaths of Fresh Air through  my mouth, until I feel my heart calm down some.  I then proceed to rinse my sinuses, even though they are clear.    

I have had allergies, but I take my allergy medication, and was given  sinus rinses with Budesonide (Pulmicort) + Saline Irrigation/Rinse & Budesonide Inhalation Suspension viles (.25mg/ml) for when I get extremely congested, but this is happening to me during the Nighy Only, while asleep, and not during my typical alergy season.  Also, I'm not congested, although I feel like my sinuses are some what swolen, sinse I can't get enough air into my lungs.  I find I breath through my nose, but have to open my mouth to fill my lungs enough, to feel like I am breathing properly.

Also, I'm finding the rinsing is not helping, and I will wake up several times at night gasping for air.  The last time this happened I called the advice nurse, and she had me go to the ER, and I was told it was a "panic attack" and stress.  I DON'T BELIEVE THIS IS THE CASE!

[I'm so sick and tired of Dr's blaming everything on Stress and Panic Attacks.]  I know my body and this is happening when I'm most relaxed and asleep.

I am NOT stressed, other than from Why Dr's can't figure out what's going on & causing this to happen??.  When I get these episodes I feel like my heart is racing, and I can't breathe. I find I have to fall asleep sitting up, and still awake several times gasping for air.

I'm relatively healthy, work out daily (when I'm not exhausted from not sleeping due to these episodes), and all my vitals are normal.

The last visit cost me over $4000 just to go to the ER.

I can't afford this!  To be told nothing is wrong!

Has anyone else suffered from this?

How did you stop this from happening?

What is causing this to happen?

I need to sleep!

I want to sleep, but can't because I wake up several times gasping for air, and finally will fall asleep for what seems like a few restless hours.

Please help, with any suggestions... or

Advice as to what may be causing this? and

What to do or tell Dr's to do?  

I'm open to any websites, personal experiences, potential diagnoses, and What to tell Dr's who just want to blame stress??

Also, any Cures  are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any insight as to what is happening?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You could look up sleep apnea, COPD, asthma and of course anxiety.
    • Posted

Thank you "ptolemy" for your repIy. :-)

I did  look these up, but how do I get my Dr. to test me for these?

I have asked and they keep saying to lose weight and not stress.

I hate Dr's for saying this to me.  

My Dr. said my insurance won't cover any tests and to lose weight, or blame it on menopause (which I'm done with.).  

BTW, I'm tall, workout daily, have no more stress than I've always had, and when I am stressed this does NOT happen to me!!  The inability to breathe comes on suddenly at night when I'm resting.  

I am hoping someone who  has experienced the same can share what they told their Dr. and Insurance company?

I want to hear from someone who found a Dr. who can "Think Outside the Box?!?" and

Want a Dr. who found out what this mid sleep, gasping for air is caused by?  

This is affecting my life and sleep, and Dr.'s look at me like I'm an alien.

Dr's seem to be getting worse in our country than better!

I pay over $1000/ mo. just for myself to be insured, and less Dr's want to take insurane and then they do, they can't even figure out what's wrong with me.

I desperately need guidance on how to get to the bottom of what I'm going through.  

• Posted

I really sympathise. I find that there are an awful lot of doctors around who really do not seem to care about the patient. I wish I knew how to rattle their chains. Is there any way you can see another doctor? Keep your description of the symptoms simple, even write it down and give it to them. You could take a friend or a family member with you. Based on the items I suggested does anything stand out, as it is unlikely you have all of them? 
    • Posted

If you tell your doctor you want a sleep study they have to order it. Don't ask just tell them. If that doesn't work call whatever office does sleep studies and tell them what's going on. Sometimes they will schedule it then get the referral from your doctor. 
  • Posted

This has happened to me several times.. It is as if my airway is cutoff for 30 seconds to a minutes and I run to the door for air and slowly I can breathe again.  This is called a Laryngospasm.  You think you are dying...  I was scared to death... My doctor said it is my stomach acid coming up and  I do not have heartburn... It is silent.... He prescribed me Omeprazole DR 20 MG once per day and it is not happening anymore....I did not believe it at first, but it is working... Also, eat your supper 2-3 hours before bedtime.... Hope this helps you... I wish I would have had some to tell me this earlier.....
  • Posted

Continued....... I also forgot to say you can take over the counter Prioslec... Also, cut out all sodas(cokes/carbonated drinks & coffee) until you are on your medicine faithfully for about 2 months and then you can slowly start back...I am off off cokes completely (this scared me so bad I do not want another carbonated drink) and I have lost 7 pounds since Dec. 2015.....
  • Posted

hi

not sure if you figured this out or if you are still having problems.

i had the same thing happe to me years ago (it just happend again tonight and i found your post) and the Dr's never figured it out. However I did by reading the side effects of the decongestion medicine (alavert D) i was constantly taking it. i looked up Pulmicort and some possible side effects are as follows that could relate to this 1. swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing 2. Runny or stuffy nose, sneezing

see the rest by googling i cant paste the link for aome reason and it says if you notice any other side effects call the Dr it also says that do not go off cold turkey to consult the Dr to wean off.

i hope this helps, let us know what happens.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.