Wake up Doctors to the dangers of Gabapentin

Posted , 12 users are following.

I wonder if Pfizer would convince a large panel of Doctorsvto take Gabapentin what would happen? It's supposedly not addictive so it shouldn't be a problem. Get Them started and watch what happens when all the side effects start hitting Them hard!  Then the withdrawals off the non addictive medication. I bet 50 million scripts will stop being written! Sherri

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just like that! .....Bam! They would be throwing they're pens out!

• Posted

Wow I’ve just signed up to this forum and it’s helping to straighten out a lot of crazy things that have been happening to me this year. I had emergency ACDF surgery in April c6/c7 fused. I’d been in horrific pain for 6 weeks prior to that as my disc had collapsed and was trapping my nerve in 3 places. I was put on gabapentin and amatriptyline for that period to try and alleviate the nerve pain. I didn’t sleep for 6 weeks. Thankfully the surgery was a success I tapered off the gabapentin 100mg 3 times a day over 6 days. But since then I’ve had severe anxiety not wanting to leave the house huge adrenaline surges through my body .... awful awful feelings. Could this be withdrawal from gabapentin? 
    • Posted

Hi Michelle....I would say it could well be the withdrawal of gabapentin causing you your symtems that you are describing. Is it possible that you have come off them to quickly. ??
  • Posted

I was prescribed Gabapentin due to right side facial pain thought to be Trigeminal Neuralgia (TN) by A&E. As soon as MRI Scan result came back negative on TN, I promptly discontinue the use of Gabapentin without doctors instruction or advice. Now the left side of my chest under my ribs which i believe could be my heart or my stomach is swollen and extremely painful. Its been over 7 days now. I was adviced to go back on Gabapentin but my chest have refused to return to normal and the pain is now horrible. This drug is killing me, please help. What do i do?? Please help me.

• Posted

You are so right Rener. I came off my Gabapentine nearly six weeks ago and are still suffering horrendous withdrawal symptoms after taking it for three and half months.I first went to my GP since I woke up with a thumping headache and since the normal treatment of paracetamol had no effect I was concerned. I also informed the GP that I was suffering with chronic back ache and since I cannot take anti inflammatories due to suffering from Crohns for the last 54 yrs. I t was then that he prescribed Gabapentine. Although he told me a little bit about the drug such as it was initially developed for the treatment of epilepsy and later for the treatment of nerve pain, he never informed me of the dangers of taking this medication which is totally wrong. Throughout the six weeks that I have been suffering these horrendous withdrawal symptoms I have tried to get help from several sources but non of them could offer any . I was that bad one Saturday morning that I rang (111) they were useless and just suggested that I go to my GP on Monday morning. Later on in the day I still felt ill and decided to contact my son who drove us to our local AE. we arrived around 10.30 pm on Saturday night and did not leave until 3.30 am Sunday morning but yet again after doing all the test they could not do anything for me. I recently called my surgery and asked for a home visit since I felt too ill to visit the surgery. Although she order more blood tests and took a water sample but as always they came back clear. She said that she did not think that it was withdrawal symptoms and even said that the information they had said that this drug did not have withdrawal symptoms. So yes I totally agree with you they have not got a clue. this annoys me because with this complacency it means that they are going to ruin someone else's life by prescribing this terrible drug. The drug company who sells this should be made aware of this problem and in my mind should have developed a anti dote for this drug. I am getting that low I have contacted my GP to prescribe me some anti depressants because I don't no what else to do. I agree with your suggestion of getting a group of doctors to test this drug and see how they feel then but I cannot see that happening. I think that I might contact "yellow Card" which is the so called monitors of drug side effects in this country which is the UK.I sincerely hope that you will soon be feeling well but I have yet to come across someone on this site who has come out the other side

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.