Wake up gasping for air

Posted , 9 users are following.

I saw another discussion but see it is quite old, so thought I'd start another one.  For at least 10 years or so, I have episodes where I wake up with a terrifying feeling like I'm dying and taking my last breath.  I am 56 years old, do not have sleep apnea (been tested 3 times), am not overweight, don't have asthma, don't smoke or drink, but I do have sinus troubles.  That being said, I have also had 3 sinus surgeries and that hassn't made any difference to this condition. 

This usually happens just when I'm falling asleep, although not always.  I always reach for my husband because I'm so frightened I'm dying.  It usually takes a few minutes for my heartrate to drop back to normal.  

Any ideas as to what this could be and whether I should see the doctor or not, would be greatly appreciated.  

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

This has happened to me on and off. It happened to my friend too while she was stressed.  I do have sleep apnea but it did happen to me even with my mask on when my anxiety was at its peak. I have my anxiety under control right now so it hasn't happened as often. Ive had it a couple of times when i fell asleep without the mask.  Cant tell if its anxiety or sleep apnea cause it doesnt hapen all the tine. However i am struggling with taking deep breaths while im awake. Ive had it for about 9 weeks dr says its anxiety!. 

• Posted

Thank you, Luis714.  I can't even say if it's anxiety driven.  I take medication for OCD/Intrusive thoughts and used to suffer greatly from anxiety, but not so much, any longer.  I wondered if I should have posted this on a different group, but then again, it could be something I'm unaware of when I sleep.

It's really comforting to know I'm not alone in this.  Hopefully things work out for you.   

• Posted

It could also be a side effect of your medication. Its best if you just talk to your dr, but i know that anxiety can cause that too.  Good luck to you. 
  • Posted

hi Dianne, came across this post as I have been so lost with what goes on with me at night and your post sounds so familiar. i too have had 3 sleep apnea tests with negative results..i am 36, kind of overweight but had same problem prior to weight gain. i jolt awake usually only when transioning from awake to sleep, I feel as tho I am not breathing at all and have to tell myself to breathe, I also sometimes scream when jolted awake. my heart races and I have to gather myself before trying to go back to sleep. sometimes it happens multiple times before I finally sleep for the night. its horrific and very scary..have you found any answers yet? sometimes I think it's psychological because I feel like either my brain is not telling me to breathe or I'm forgetting too not that physically i actually cant.

• Posted

Taking hot water vapour 2 hours before the sleeps helps. The mucus is out clearing the passage.Though the symptoms goes very slow.
  • Posted

Hello I am 36 and last January I experienced my first panic attack. I thought I was dying. I had no idea what it was it scared me to death. I knew I had some form of anxiety but not to this level. After that experience I am more aware of my anxiety which sucks. I do get the gasping for air feeling right before I fall asleep. I don't feel it every night but I do feel it sometimes. Sometimes it happens three times before I actually fall asleep and it is pretty scary. I will tell you I have pretty much been tested for everything. I've had X-rays, blood work, lung tests, heart checked out on an EKG, you name it I've had it done. I was going to get down to the bottom of this! I also went to an ear nose and throat Dr. They did some allergy testing on me which I've always known I've had allergies. I'm pretty much allergic to every tree, cats, dogs and some other things. Well I started on my allergy shots and they've been helping a lot but I still have some sinus and post nasal drip problems. Besides that they also did the procedure where they look down your throat with the camera and noticed that I also suffer from acid reflux. He said my throat was naturally small and that the acid reflux caused my vocals to be touching my larynex which was not normal( keep in mind I have gained some weight) so that also makes you have more fat around your throat. He said that I need to take Prilosec or Nexium everyday that Zantac is not going to cut it. He told me that when the acid comes up your throat it cause vocal swelling and spams and you may be unable to breathe for a few seconds and that can cause a flight or fight method which can lead to anxiety. And also them touching can cause me to have some issues. I love to find the answers to my problems so I do a lot of research. What I have read is that some people experience their anxiety only at night and that's what I think is happening here. I also tend to stay up late and I do have problems falling asleep which I'm pretty sure I may have insomnia. But once I'm asleep I'm asleep till the morning. Before I had my panic attack last January I never had this problem so I'm pretty sure it has to do with anxiety. I definitely try and take vitamins that help with anxiety like St John's wort and I also try to use lavender essential oils. Long story short I'm pretty sure the problem has to do with acid reflux so talk to your doctor because there's also silent acid reflux where you might have it and not even know it. And I think it also has to do with some sort of sleep disorder like insomnia and it definitely has to do with stress and anxiety. I think at night you're more aware of yourself and your feelings and your thoughts and that's probably when the anxiety happens.

• Posted

Hi Diane,

i just woke woke up gasping for breath and I know I won’t be able to go sleep for awhile again until the adrenaline wears off. I’ve had this happen a few times before. I work 24 hour shifts and my circadian rhythms are all messed up. It seems that it happens when I’m very tired, I fall asleep unusually quickly for me and I’m fall asleep on my back. It could be that I’m so tired that I relax too much out of massive fatigue and just allow my airway to close. I don’t remembering it happening when I was on my side. I have been tested for sleep apnea and told that I don’t have it. I can tell you that when it happens I have a sudden feeling of doom as if I am going to die and as I wake up I start to wonder if I will ever be able to breath. A bit unsettling. 

Wish I knew more. I do have some anxiety but it is much better than it was. Btw this has not happened to me when I’m taking Xanax or Ambien. Only when I don’t take anything because I’m so tired I’m sure I will sleep.

I feel your pain.

Medicsun

• Posted

Medicsun, do you also hear a kind of "ringing in the ears" sound when you have these episodes after waking up in distress and feel you are under attack by something invisible?

• Posted

Taking hot water vapour 2 hours before the sleeps helps. The mucus is out clearing the passage.Though the symptoms goes very slow.
  • Posted

I do not recall ringing in the ears. More concerned about breathing than anything.

Medicsun

• Posted

• Posted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.