waking every morning with shakiness, anxiety and nausea!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, I started taking Paxil CR about 5 weeks ago and I discontinued it about two week ago because I was really sick from it. One of the problems was I started to wake every morning with shakiness, anxiety and nausea. My dr told me to discontinue the Paxil and start lexapro, however, I am still waking up this way every day. It had definitely gotten better over the past two weeks but it's not something I want to live with. Sometimes the symptoms go away after about and hour and other times they hang around all day. Does anyone have any idea what this is all about? I'm going to the dr next week but I'm looking for ideas about what this might be. I never had these problems before starting paxil! I'm worried this is permanent! help please!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

it's possible the medication isn't the problem.  how long have you been on SSRIs?  cleary some life stressors lead you to being examined and prescribed paxil cr.  i suffered from panic attacks in my mid 20s and was put on paxil.  it worked wonderfully, so well in fact i relied on it.  it really made me feel good along with the perks of eliminating old sport injury pains ranging from shin splints to sore joints from repetitive motion.

my doctor explained it would take 6-8 weeks to start feeling the effects of it if not slightly longer.  morning shakiness, anxiety and nausea sounds like the progression of the underlying problem.  only 3 weeks on paxil cr doesn't seem to be long enough to take effect.  similarly, you have similar symptoms with lexapro.  it seems your anxiety and stress is getting out of hand slightly.  i took paxil for 3 yrs and must admit the experience with it was absolutely terrific.  but, i didn't want it to be a lifelong thing and feel these drugs don't address the underlying issues and only treat symptoms and do a good job of that.  my experience with paxil was 16 yrs ago and i took it for 3 yrs with no issues.  my recent job of 5 yrs of being overworked and overstressed put in a bad spot physically recently with regard to anxiety symptoms etc...  the worst was sudden sweating, nausea, tremors, shakiness, facial flushing, hot and cold facial sensations.  i went to the doctor and everything checked out fine but felt like i was going through hell physically.  the worst of all were the tremors when trying to sleep.  now a year later, i chose to tough it out without medication and have made drastic improvements.  i really don't have any symptoms accept for the minor dizzy feeling when i do get stressed.  but, i sleep really well now.  i began focusing on my underlying issues and how i deal with stress.  i began exercising and getting 7-8hrs of sleep daily.  i continue to improve to this deal which is miles from where i was a year ago.

you mention being worried this is permanent which sounds typical of health anxiety which incidentally includes the symptoms you're currently having.  if your doctor tells you to commit to paxil or lexapro...you probably should for longer than 3 weeks which i feel isn't enough time to take effect.  all they do is inhibit reuptake of seratonin leaving more circulating in your blood stream.  serotonin is the feel good neurotrasmitter and the medication your taking is design to slowly and steadily increase your levels ever so slightly.  anyway, good luck. 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply! I'm beginning to wonder if my problems with anxiety are getting worse like you said. My current dr isn't very helpful so I have an appointment with my new dr on the 17th. Hopefully he can shed some light on this. I've been on ssris for over a year now. Been trying to find one that will treat my anxiety but no luck yet.

• Posted

I've been through this. I would wake up with nausea everyday for a month and then it stopped and then it came back again. Had an ultrasound and it came back fine. It's anxiety I assure you. I'm sorry you have to go through this, I understand and I can totally relate! I'm on my relapse period so now I wake up with nausea again! Best of luck,keep us updated!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.