Waking Up and Temporarily Losing Memory

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello,

I am a 20 year old female and twice over the past couple of months I have had quite a fright.

One evening I got home from work and went for a power nap as I was so tired. I woke up about an hour later and looked at the time and realised that I was going to be late for meeting some friends so I jumped in the shower. After getting out of the shower I started to get dressed but all of a sudden felt odd and couldn't remember anything - I didn't even remember having a shower and couldn't process my brain to find a matching pair of socks! This then triggered a panic attack as I remembered long term i.e. my address and who was around me but I couldn't remember anything that had happened that day. I called NHS Direct and after speaking to someone I felt calmer after about 15 minutes. I had never had a previous history of panic attacks - this was my first one and since then I have had a few.

The same thing happened today. I went for a power nap after work and was woken up by someone to let me know I needed to wake for dinner. I walked into a different room and again felt so disorientated and I didn't recognise anything in the room I was in. Both times this has happened it was when I was sleeping in the day time for less than 2 hours. This has never happened when my alarm has gone off in the morning. Has anyone else had this before and does anyone know a cause/prevention?

I have also had sleep paralysis before where I've woken up and I can see my room with my eyes half open but I can't fully open my eyes, can't move at all and felt like someone was holding something over my mouth because I was struggling trying to breathe. Again, has anyone had this before? Do we know what causes it?

Over the past few months I have felt under a lot of pressue with work and I am very stressed. I do not have trouble sleeping - when sleeping at night I don't tend to wake up until my alarm in the morning with no problems.

Thanks in advance!

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

From my expérience of 3 1/2 years of sleeping problem... And my problem has evoluated through différent sleeping problems. I suggest you learn as soon as possible a meditation technique called Vipassana . That will help you alto for the future in many ways. 

There are meditation center vipassana in many contries. The course is free. But you have to engage ten days of your life in learning the technique. For me, it has saved my life.

• Posted

Hey Lauren,

How do you feel now, I was looking for answers and i found what you posted and it exactly matched what i went through last night, so did you find any answers?

• Posted

Lauren I have the exact same thing. I wake up everyday almost infact I time it. The way I do is screen shoot my phone. When I wake up before it happens 2-5 minutes maximum before it happens I will wake up. I will stand up I will think maybe it won’t happen this time ( everyday I do this) I will walk to the bathroom by the time I get theyre it starts to set in. Within 5 minutes long term is perfect short term is distorted I will not remember but a few events it will also have some weird effects such as a extremely powerful time distortion the only thing I can even use to snatch my self out of it faster is play extremely loud music through ear buds splashing water on my face does nothing but throw me into sheer terror and fear it’s simmular to me as if a hallucinogenic drug like lsd but no hallucinations ( only time space and key exact areas of thought and memory are messed up) for instants I will remember the song lyrics but I won’t rememer the bathroom or if I even used the scale ( I do weight loss a lot ) so I also will talk to people but then forget the entire conversation besides a few parts it is like literally having a weird form of amnesia that attacks only key parts of memory total time is 10-15 I’ve had it roll to 32 minutes maximum once also it always seems much much much longer than it’s been it feels like hours vs minutes. I’ve had mri s I’ve had sleep study I have sleep apnea but I caught my doctor lying we won’t get into that. Cpap doesn’t help me I never get tired nor stop breathing nor even have the ability to nap. But they’re has never been anyone able to give me answers. I  do suffer panic attacks but this is much much much more powerful what ever this is. I have seen neurologist nothing they’re psychiatrist they are literally confused the only thing that seems repetitive is when it happens they’re is no memory of dreams I perceive it maybe like sleep paralysis but able to move I have had sleep paralysis but strangely enough later sleep study said no I didn’t however no I have confirmed cases of it. To help anyone maybe they’re is a cluster as follows 1. Religion Muslim 2. Has GAD 3. Has extremely bad panic attacks 4. Has had a near death experience when I was 16 also was in a comma for 3 days. Current age 30 years old. It all started after taking a pill called rivotril aka tamazapam not colonopin I still take colonazapam ( tamazapam is a different benzo) after I stoped it this never went away. A common triggering thought that makes this happen faster is trying to remember what I dreamed < never do that it sends me straight into it 0 time delay. What I believe it may be personally a ultra deep sleep and awaking but then another area of the brain isn’t waking up as fast then fails and goes back to as if it was still a sleep. The way Lauren described it is very good it’s exact. I wish I had answers but I don’t I’ve only been looking for them for 2 years rolling on 3 also key note my memory after it wears off is and allways has been ultra powerful long term short term I have common forgetfulness like where did I put my wallet keys etc or where did I put so and so. Other than that nothing else. 

• Posted

stress is the cause. Your nervous system is perturbed.

if someone is in the same situation , try doing 1-2 minutes of exercises after the naps. Something easy for the body-mind to wake up

if this still persist go to a doc or start enjoying life more

• Posted

Hi Lauren,

Just a reminder to take all advice here and elsewhere with a pinch of salt.  Not that some good advice is not given.  But you know your body best.

The first obvious thing I would do is visit your GP and get a blood test and a sleep study to rule any issues / sleep apnea.

No need to answer, but have you used heavy drugs / alcohol / late nights lately? 

With regards to the powernap you had, do you normally feel rested after having this nap?  How about a full nights sleep?

Perhaps your sleep conditions need to be improved.  Have you moved house lately / changed the bedroom conditions in any way?  Do you regularly wash your sheets and vacuum and clean your bedroom?  (I have read that a week is a good start, and you need wash your sheets in HOT water to kill any potential bed bugs / critters). 

Do you get mucous easily / sneeze easily once inside / outside the room oir house?  Make sure the house is environmentally friendly.  Don't get too into it, but just clean out any old musty furniture / water stains which may cause mold and mildew.  Vacuum under and around furniture in the house at least once a month.  

Alternatively, before you let your mind worry about the house (which it usually isn't), try staying at a hotel with a nice bed and see if you get those same not-nice symptoms you mentioned.  Either struggling to breathe or short-term memory loss.

Best wishes in finding the cause.

• Posted

I’m having the exact same problem. Whenever someone wake me up out of my sleep I wake up very confused. If I have a conversation after being awaken I won’t remember it later.  I also feel dizzy at the same time.  Mine didn’t start til after my concussion
  • Posted

Hello, I experienced this memory loss twice 2 years ago. The first one was the time im developing a system software project for the school it was stressful for me working it at night and going to school at day. Then one night i decided not to work on it, if im not mistaken i dreamed of something and the thing i only remember was big letters of "Q W L E B D" i woke up from my dream and thats the only thing i remember all the things i did the past days was gone in my head. The thing is i starting to forgot my name and even to what to do next i feel like really dumb like i cant do anything and remember anything, what i did was write my name on my phone again and again while saying it loud. My mom woke up and told whats happening to me he get the bible and sit beside me and we pray together im shaking and feeling cold and suddenly i fell asleep.

The second one was not too serious but it was the same dream about the big letters in my head " Q W L E B D" same things happened at the first case but the difference was what i did to try to overcome it i just think that i will remember it tomorrow and forcely go back to sleep by jumping jack and push up to trigger sleep by tiring my body a little and it work.

I tried to analyze the way i think that moment. Its like this for example i have three task todo and decided to do one task first but my brain wants to do all three at the same time and cant process all the things.

Normal brain works

1st task

Start ------------ End

2nd task

Start ------------ End

3rd task

Start ------------ End

My brain while the memory loss

1st = f

2nd = s

3rd = t

Start -- ffttss-sstffttf -- cant end

The thing is i cant focus on one task and jumbling all the things in my head at the same time. On the second case i work on my body before mind soo i think it work but i don think that was the right thing to do.

• Posted

Please do your best to stay positive in spite of this.  

It is hard to believe, but like almost all difficult things in life, please remember the wisdom "this too shall pass".  Your challenge is finding the resilience to deal with it, while doing things that can help improve this.  (The idea of resilience is rolling with the punches, or riding the waves rather than fighting against them and getting pummelled.  Its easy to say but hard to master.)

Keep in mind there are many ways to approach this issue which is obviously such a big impact on your life.  Some cultures equate your mind and brain as with your heart.  It may not be that you have a serious issue, but that all it takes is a little tweak, perhaps a little change in lifestyel, joining a social group or two, a little healthier diet, etc.  Enjoy the process of doing the research and work and gaining greater understanding and thus control over your issue, and you willl not just heal your issue, but feel greatly empowered in the process.  You could even help others who have future problems.  

But most important is to stay positive and practice resilience.  If you find yourself feeling overwhelmed, besides joining fun social groups / volunteering, avail yourself of professional support and regular counselling (which can also help you with building resilience / dealing with your situation).

Good luck!

• Posted

I just wanted to say thanks for posting about this. I had it happen about 4 years ago myself. Took a nap and woke up completely unaware of where I was, my identity even eluded me and I couldn't remember my life at all.... for about 30 seconds when my memory came flooding back rather violently. Now I have several sleep disorders including sleep paralysis, confusional arousal, sleep walking... but I'd never experienced anything like that in my life. Unlike with confusional arousal, my brain was wide awake. I sat straight up in bed and didn't recognize my own room. Instantly I realized everything was blank and it was terrifying. I started to panic and cry softly bc I wasn't sure I hadn't been kidnapped. Seriously. After a moment, my memories came pouring back in. And at the time my life was rather nightmarish so that wasn't pleasant. It felt as though I was experiencing those memories for the first time all over again. So I was a sobbed and sobbed for most of the day. It's never happened again. I will say, I was overtired, extremely stressed out, had experienced a recent emotional trauma, and was taking anti anxiety meds. I'm sure one or all of them contributed to it. I was just sitting here with insomnia and thinking about it. Guess I just wanted to know if there was a name for this and how common it was. Honestly can't find much of anything about it online. So again, thanks. It's always bothered me since it happened. I certainly don't want to have it happen again.

• Posted

And I realize it's not exactly the same as what you're experiencing, but it's the closest I could find. Any luck or progress on diagnosis or treatment? My heart goes out to you. Memory loss is truly terrifying.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.