Waking up at night after hysterectomy

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am nearly 6 weeks post op. Ever since the op I have been waking up every 2 to 3 hours. Then I have to empty my bladder. I have tried not drinking after 8pm. I do not have an infection. I do sometimes feel I have not  fully emptied my bladder and get a bit of discomfort after. Tithe GP said this wuss due to the catheter and I should drink plenty of water. I just want a full nights sleep like I always had before. Has anyone had this and what did they do to cure it..?

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, my uterus was sat on my bladder and had to be eased off it for removal... I have had some very minor issues with my bladder since the operation. My go told me I'd to drink plenty and told me the reason... The more you drink the more your bladder will have to work if it has to work overtime all the better this means it gets it working properly, if not your bladder my no recover properly and you will end up with problems!!! 

This his has made me start drinking a whole lot more than usual (which still prob not the average you should drink!)

yes bs I may now have a slight infection now but I know I've got to make that bladder work!

dont know if that helps at all!

• Posted

Hi.  My op was end of February.  Vaginal with anterior and posterior repair.  I ve found since it was done my bladder works really well, certainly much better than before, but I also am up twice in the night and during the day if I need to go can t wait long.  Have mentioned this to doctor about three weeks ago and he says it's due to the nerves still settling after the op.    Drink lots of water, keep doing your pelvic floor excercises and I m sure things will improve.   Claire 
  • Posted

I feel your pain! I am also 6 weeks post op from a total hysterectomy which put me into surgical menopause at 44yrs old. By day 8 all hormones had left my body, and due to having a uterus full of cancer I am unable to take any replacement hormones, so I was put on an anti-depressant, ambien for sleep, between night sweats and having to get up and go to th bathroom 2 or more times a night, so due to that sleep time is about 4 hrs or less at a time. Just venting with you more or less, and wanted to wish you well! XO Erin 
  • Posted

And i thought it was just me.  I go to bed at around 11pm to 11.30pm and i'm up at about 2am ish then 5am ish and then up properly at 7am and go again.

Like you i don't feel like i am emptying properly and flow seems to be slower and i'm sitting there longer. I'm assuming its to do with the op and will settle down (fingers crossed), i've been a bit naughty and not done the pelvic floor exercises much as every time i do try and do them i get a muscle spasm and stayed crunched in lol which has put me off a bit.  Also i drink 4 to 5 pints of water per day (always have done) which probably doesn't help

• Posted

Hi Neverstaysstill

Hee! hee! I am here to tell you off again!  You must do your kegels, it is essential to keep your pelvic floor strengthened after the op.  If you go onto YouTube and type in Michelle Kenway, she has lots of videos to show you how to do kegels properly, how to start off gently and then build up to the advanced.  I use her as my cheer leader when I am doing mine, she makes me try just that little bit harder!  

Ah we are all up through the night with the bladder.  I used to go every 20 mins through the day and night before my lovely surgeon got me to do self help on the bladder for a year before doing the op.  I got up to 3 hours and was quite pleased with myself.  

The op set me back to going every hour and a half but I  have trained it back to the 3 hours ready for when I see him on Monday.  

I suppose having come from 20 mins I am quite pleased with the 3 hours through the night.  But it must be a bit of a shock for you all having to suffer this when you are not used to it.  I think it might be all the 'rough housing' the bladder gets from the op and that the nerves etc will settle down in time for you all.

Hope you are doing well.   Make sure you do your kegels, I am watching you!  

Love

Jacqui lol

• Posted

Me too on the water, and I go about 4 times per cup of coffee which I would never give up. I seem to urinate less fluid and go more often?? I wasn't instructed to do any exercise?? Did you dr suggest the exercise? 
    • Posted

It was on an information sheet i got with all the hospital bumf, but everywhere you look on the internet says we should be doing it and Jacqui says so to so i'm going to try again.
    • Posted

I seem to wee much better now and bladder seems to hold a lot more as well.  Strange how we are all different.  😉
  • Posted

I am two weeks post op after having  pelvic  floor repair and  vaginal hysterectomy. Having to get up in pee in the night, which I have never experienced before.  First week it was twice in the night this week it's once in the night. Does it get better. Has yours got better and do you know what causes it? Jane. 

• Posted

yes me too and it seems as if I have tried to sleep pass emptying my bladder. But I can't sleep long. not sure what to do. I like you I try not to drink to much water after 7pm, still no luck! !!
  • Posted

Hi hun,i'm 5 weeks post op and i feel like this.I seem to go to the toilet more ofter and do less.Sometimes it feels like the start of an ainfection or cystitis but then it eases off.Prior to the op,i used to push to make sure my bladder was completely emptied but obviously don't want to do this now in case i strain my already uncomfortable stomach x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.