Waking up choking

Posted , 3 users are following.

My boyfriend wakes up every night choking. It seems very serious like he can't breathe. If he can't go back to sleep, I'll make him sit up and he'll still occasionally cough, like every few moments. He says it started after he quit smoking 2 years ago. He feels like he's got something in his throat. Sometimes a Benedryl will knock him out enough to sleep uninterrupted, but he'll rarely allow me to give it to him. What is this? He's only 31. Not obese. Otherwise healthy.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Well,

I would look at Respiratory Acidosis, and start  him on Cider Vinegar 2 tablesoons in a large glass of water 4 times per day first, before you do anything else and see if this helps him.

• Posted

My husband has had the same symptoms.  Eventually we realised he was experiencing acid reflux which causes you to cough violently when acid travels up your food pipe into your throat from your stomach. (You don't have to be overweight to get reflux) 

He could try; 

1) Gaviscon liquid (that works for my hubby which he takes whenever he goes to bed

feeling full or if we've had a spicy meal or alcohol) 

2) Raise the head of the bed or

3) If you've tried all of the above, get him to visit his doctor. It's best to get him checked out professionally. The doctor prescribed my husband Omeprazole but fortunately he doesn't take it regularly. 

Acid reflux doesn't always burn either. If you search online for GERD, you should be able to find out what foods to avoid and see if it helps. 

If you feel it's not acid reflux, google Laryngospasm. My hubby gets this too and is one of the most frightening things you can experience or witness. Just knowing what it is helps. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.