Waking up early when practicing sleep restriction

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been following a sleep restriction regimen for awhile now and I'll often wake up early. Sometimes within 15 minutes of the alarm clock going off, other times much earlier. I'm wondering if it's better to stay in bed until my alarm clock goes off or get out of bed if I'm unable to get back to sleep?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

If it's less than 1 hour or so before the alarm, I'd say get up, as that wouldn't leave enough time for another full sleep cycle (usually about 1.5 hours) and you might feel groggy when the alarm wakes you.

But you could always try experimenting.

• Posted

Hi Matthew. I'm Lucy. I also experienced like that setting my alarm clock yet either I wake up before my alarm ring or can't hear my alarm ringing smile I even forgot that my alarm ring and then, my reflexes did the job of putting it off smile What I did is get up when I wake up even before my alarm goes off or make a second alarm time 15 minutes after my original time of waking up biggrin

• Posted

We sleep in cycles. What ever time you want to wake up, no matter how long or short, you want to wake up after the cycle is complete. Cycles normally last 90 to 110 minutes. You use a sleep calculator to time them. I use https://whentosleep.com

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.