Waking up gasping for air

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello I am a 31 year old male with no previous medical history.

Over the past six months I have developed sleep apnea which has gotten progressively more acute. My symptoms are suddenly waking up gasping for air, sometimes I find my vision blurring and the sensation that blood isn't reaching my fingers. This is gotten steadily more acute for the last month, to the point, where I have episodes almost every night.

In addition I seem to have trouble with shortness of breath during the day time as well. I will just be sitting around watching television and suddenly feel like I am not getting enough air. I have also noticed trouble swallowing food (like a constriction/obstruction in the upper part of my throath).

I have been feeling something like a palpitation in my chest over the last week. It seems to get stronger when I eat, otherwise I notice a disturbance once every couple of minutes or so.

I am currently seeing a doctor and have undergone and overnight sleep apnea test, waiting on the result of that.

Any help with my systoms would be greatly appreciated, I have been worried that I have cardiac problems, given my latest symptoms.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

the Sleep apnea test will give them some answers, hopefully not bad news.

Are you sleeping on a flat pillow or propping yourself up on multiple pillows?

Best wishes from the wife of a heart failure patient, he is doing well, 6 half years on, when they thought he wouldn't survive the week, so there is life even after a disastrous situation with his heart.  Dr's amazed he is doing so well, he caught a virus that did serious damage to his heart muscle.

• Posted

Hi,

I was just wondering if you ever got any answers. I am actually going through something similar.

• Posted

Hi sgracias, I had the exact same symptoms and turned out I needed iron supplements which somehow nobody recommended to me for a crazy long time. Please do consult with your doctor. Palpatation and breathlessness (feeling of being unable to take full or deep breaths) are both caused by iron deficiencies... I know two other people for whom this resolved the issue! However I'm not a doctor so please consult with your doctor first!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.