Waking up hot and shaking and heart beating rapidly, help?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm Lauren, and I'm 15 years old. I've been stressing out lately but I've haven't worried about the option of anxiety. But unfortunately, I think that this might be the case after my mum woke me up one night and I was extremely warm and sweaty. My heart was beating really fast and I was shaking uncontrollably. I hadn't had a nightmare or anything but I was light headed and I can't fall back to sleep. In the morning, I was experiencing the same thing only milder. A couple of days later the same thing happened. I'm not sure if this is anxiety or not, but my friends all assure me it is and to go see someone about it. Could someone confirm if this is anxiety or not?

Thanks. smile

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Laurenmadeline,

Firstly....try not to worry about your odd symptoms or start stressing about them as the mind is a powerful tool and can create all sorts of unwanted things!

I remember, when I was about your age and younger, if I woke up in the morning shivering and feeling odd it always meant I was going to throw up! Mostly there was never any tangible reason for it, but apparently my mum sometimes got the same symptoms. Maybe it was part of being female!

As I approach 50 I am finding out a lot of things I never knew about hormones and the effects they can have on our minds and bodies when they go out of kilter....ie around the perimenopause and menopause. Because of an antidepressant I was prescribed I ended up on the anxiety forums as well as the menopause ones, and the similarities in the symptoms relating to the minds and emotions of ladies in peri and people with anxiety really struck me!

What I have noticed is that there are a lot of anxiety sufferers in their mid to late teens, of both sexes. This must coincide with changing and fluctuating hormone levels during puberty...surely there's a link?

For sure, see your doctor for a chat about your concerns. You say you hadn't had a nightmare when it first happened...but those are the same kind of symptoms I get now and then, and sometimes I have been aware of the nightmare beforehand, but not always. It happened to me a few weeks ago....I awoke with the fastest racing heart I have ever known and it scared me until it began to calm down again and I was tired enough to fall asleep, but I didn't remember any nightmare.

If you are already stressed over something, please don't add to the stress by worrying about your recent episodes...they could have been down to adrenaline coursing through your body at the time, because of your existing stress, and any relaxation techniques you can try should help enormously.

I'm no medic, just a woman entering that phase of life where the hormones start acting up again and causing all sorts of havoc!

Take care and try not to worry....and don't let your friends worry you either! x

• Posted

Apparently it is possible to have panic attacks whilst you are sleeping.Tell your doctor,and he should be able to explain it all to you.
  • Posted

Well I also say the same - see a doctor .

But as you said you have been stressing out lately so I don't think anything wrong but should see a doctor

• Posted

Yes it also could be the effects of the regular female things ... So just relax

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.