Waking up in REM cycle every day

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi! So I have a Fitbit that tracks my sleep for me (with all of the sleep cycles and whatnot) and I've been noticing I'm waking up during my REM cycles on a daily basis. I've done some research and I know that waking up in REM can cause sleep inertia, which I experience daily. It effects me all day long and my job requires me to be fully aware of what I am doing. Driving is also a little scary when I'm experiencing sleep inertia.

For example, if I go to bed at 1030pm on Tuesday night, I have to be up at 7am Wednesday morning. 9 times out of ten, my Fitbit tracks that I am in a REM cycle at 7am leaving me feeling groggy the rest of the day. I do use an alarm but most of the time my body wakes me up right at 7am while I am still in a REM cycle. That doesn't make sense to me.

So, I was wondering if anybody else has experienced this and I am looking for any suggestions.

Thank you!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Coco

Are you experiencing any dreams while in REM sleep.?

Did you discontinue any medicines which led you to wake up in REM sleep.?

How many hours do you sleep and how is your sleep quality?

Are you using any medicines for any reason at present?

• Posted

I experience many dreams while I sleep and I remember most of them.

I've been on the same medications for about 6-7 years now. I take lexapro (5mg once a day), vesicare and elmiron (I have interstitial cystitis), omeprazole (for acid reflux) and birth control.

On average, I get 7 hours of sleep and I'd say the sleep quality is decent. I did, however, forget to mention I have mild sleep apnea. I've been using a cpap since August 2016.

• Posted

I'm not entirely sure what the problem is, apart from the fact you're feeling tired of course. It's normal for REM sleep to take up more and more of each one-and-a-half-hour sleep cycle as the night wears on. I therefore don't see anything wrong with waking directly from REM sleep. Also, it's normal to wake fully or partially at the end of each REM period anyway. Most people aren't aware that this is going on, but it can be proved in a sleep lab, and a few of us wake fully after each cycle throughout the night.

It's also worth pointing out that drowsiness is one of the common side-effects of escitalopram (Lexapro).

If you're concerned about this, you should ask your doctor to refer you to a sleep clinic for assessment.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply!

I am only concerned because I am experiencing sleep inertia on a daily basis and it doesn't go away with rest, eating, etc. 

I had my sleep evaulated for sleep apnea last summer. Would I have to go to another sleep clinic for a different kind of assessment or can that assessment be done during apnea testing?

Thanks!

• Posted

It depends where you are in the world, or even in the country in the case of the UK, I believe. You'd need to ask your doctor about this.

Are you quite sure the Lexapro isn't playing a part in your symptoms? You shouldn't stop taking it, of course, but perhaps you should consider tapering it under medical supervision.

• Posted

I am in the USA. I recently saw my primary doctor (about a month ago) and she didn't mention anything about the Lexapro having a factor in this. I do believe Lexapro could definitley be playing a factor. I've been on it since I was 17 and I'm 23 now. I will have to ask the prescribing doctor about this for sure. 

When I was first put on Lexapro, I started off at 20mg and over the years, I have decreased the dosage and am now taking 5mg. Maybe I don't even need it anymore. Who knows!

• Posted

Coco,

I totally understand your situation and my heart aches for you.

I can understand how disturbing waking up at REM sleep .

I am facing same problem

I was ignorant what it is to use brain medication.

Unfortunately I went to a psychiatrist for a simple paranoia

He prescribed risperidone,within one month my paranoia cured .But I didn't know the tapering system.That doctor didn't warn me not to stop risperidone without seeing him again.

What a mistake I stopped risperidone without tapering.

That is when dreams started.

First they were night mares.After a month

They were dreams.

Again I did a blunder.

Went to same doctor to complain about disturbing dreams.

What a mistake

He put me on olanzapine.

Which has so many side effects.

At present I am tapering olanzapine

As soon as I have reached 2.5 mg dreams started appearing early in the morning

I am waking up exausted every single day

I have clueless what will be my sleep and REM sleep condition after stopping olanzapine.

Praying to God is the only solution left it seems.

• Posted

apu, that's all so horrible!

It's just hard for me because I am a dental hygienist and that requires me to be alert all day and it's extremely hard to stay alert when I feel like I am still sleeping. And like I said before, driving makes me nervous!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.