Waking up too early, not getting enough sleep.sleep apnea?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I find myself waking up way too early then I have to. I don't have an alarm to get me up I have the ability to sleep in late if I want but my body/mind just won't do it...even if I'm out late on the weekends. Say I get to bed at a reasonable hour around 11:00 p.m. I'll get up around 4 or 5 90% of the time...or even earlier, sometimes (with the help of melatonin) I can get back to bed a few hours if I'm lucky but it's not a deep REM sleep for sure. This has been my norm for about a decade now. I can get through the day OK sometimes I might be able to nap for half an hour so that helps But I worry more about long term physical as well as mental/cognitive ability that we need a good night's sleep for. I don't think it's sleepy apnea but I could be wrong when I waking up I do have to use a bathroom ( not a strong urge) but I don't have any gasping or other symptoms and I'm always sleeping alone so I can't comment on snoring however. I do try my best to limit liquids especially alcohol and caffeine in the evening trying not to eat as late as I used to,but that's hard, I cut out all sorts of electronic devices half hour before I work out and do all the necessary "self care" stuff but still hard finding a good night's sleep. any advice appreciated, thanks.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Assuming you are male, what dietary supplements and/or alcohol do you drink. How old are you (roughly).

I am 61 and male.

I have a similar sort of situation, but I have managed to make some progress mainly using various supplements.

I measure my sleep duration with a fitbit which is a useful way of getting an objective measurement on my mobile phone even if it is not entirely accurate.

To deal with this I do recommend using some measurement system and keeping records.

• Posted

thanks John. I'm early 40s, take regular multivites and fish oil in the morning...rarely drink. dot bit or smart watch a good idea. temp control now as summer is here and light another thing to manage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.