Waking up with acid burning throat

Posted , 4 users are following.

ive woke up afew times now with acid burning my throat but last night was bad , it was really burning my throat and took abit to ease . i take lansoprazole in a morning but thinking i should start to take something at night as well . have people got suggestions also whats the quickest thing to ease the throat burning when this happens. i tried milk also i had some yoghurt but still took a while also had some gaviscon . ive seen wedge pillows mentioned are they any good and where in the uk do you buy them from . many thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

If you can get a decent wedge pillow or even just makeshift a way to elevate your upper body while sleeping that should go a long way. Make sure you don't eat or drink for a while before going to bed.

• Posted

Shew, love your soul! I know it'll sound crazy, before my funduplication surgery, I'd wake up gasping for air from that acid lava. I found that alka seltzer heartburn chews helped best of the over the counter meds (and if you could find hb and gas relief, even better, maybe the gas attributes to pressure and assists by opening the esophagus, just my opinion) When I couldn't find relief with those, I swear by a cap (lid) full of apple cider vinegar, probably ½ teaspoon. It burns like the hinges of hell on the way down, but once it gets to your stomach, it somehow neutralizes the acid and stops the uprising. You'll know when it reaches your stomach in two ways... 1. the heartburn will stop, and regretfully but honestly..2. you're gonna feel it the whole way down to that point. If the pain, discomfort, and nasty taste the acid brings about is bothersome enough to you and you can't find some other type of relief...try the vinegar. First 90 seconds or so will suck, but it will help in less than 2 minutes. Good luck!

• Posted

I live in the UK and an endoscopy revealed a 7cm hiatus hernia and oesophagitis

I was told to get 2 bricks and put them under the bed at the top, I chose to obviously not use bricks I put books there it's just to make sure we are elevated,

Ive woken up with acid seeping in my lungs and it feels like you are choking on it,

I'm awaiting reflux surgery,

My tips are :

Don't eat tomatoes, spicy thing, chocolate and sugary gassy things,

If you like them and want to eat them I would suggest only eat them at least 3-4 hours before bedtime,

I know this may sound weird but when my heartburn is really acidic and bad (I take 2 omeprazole a day and I have gaviscon)

But a bit of water (quarter of a cup) of water with some bicarbonate soda gets rid of it within seconds better than gaviscon

It also gets rid of trapped wind

Hope this helps x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.