Waking up with panic attacks

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone 1 week on lexapro from 5 days on 5mg to now on 7.5mg.

I keep waking up each morning say 12am 3am etc with major panic attacks. Heart racing and shortness of breath. Is this possible a reaction to lexapro? I’m finding the first week extremely difficult and I hope it gets better because with broken sleep and having an increase of anxiety this is hell!!

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Did your panic attacks at night subside ? How long did they take to go away.

• Posted

I got on fine with Citalopram, but Escitalopram supercharged my anxiety to stratospheric levels and after 5 weeks of hell I quit cold turkey as I couldn't take another second of it.

Thinking about it now, my GP started me on 10mg and increased it to 20mg after 4 weeks. It seems it would have been better to start on 5mg.

So is it common for it to make you super anxious before actually making you feel better?

• Posted

how are you doing now? IM ON day 22 and the shakes and anxiety are horrible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.