Waking up with sore lungs/feeling like I breathed in smoke

Posted , 5 users are following.

Lately, I've been waking up feeling like I smoked a pack of cigarettes the night before. Or was in a smoky bar. Anyone that has smoked or been in a smoke filled establishment will know what I mean.

I don't smoke and I avoid smoking places so that's not the reason. Does anyone else experience this feeling in the mornings? It's driving me mad.

I have bad allergies and just yesterday saw an allergist and am starting allergy shots next week. I'm on Singulair & Ventolin HFA as needed.

Thank you

3 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like asthma, and I'm assume that was your diagnosis since they gave you two asthma medications.  Asthma just before going to sleep or on waking is common for me.  Flairs during pollen season.  I can only tell you personal experience - asthma is very individual as are our allergies.

Are you taking the full dose of singulair every day without missing any? It will probably take several weeks to kick in fully.  In my book that means two weeks, if your asthma is not fully controlled (< 3 Ventolin puffs per week) then step up to ICS.  The one that works best for me is Qvar - good old beclomethesone the original long acting asthma medication go figure.  Once you are controlled you gradually reduce the dose to the minimum needed.  You can stay on it the whole allergy season if need be.  Singulair never did anything for me, but I think they start with it because it's considered mild.  The shots take years to work, certainly mine did.  They are effective for dust, but the problem with botanicals is I got it for a certain kind of bermuda grass and then moved countries and then developed nice pollen allergy later. 

• Posted

I've been taking Singulair since January or February. I just started Arnuity Ellipta yesterday which is an inhaled asthma medicine and I've been using Flonase daily for like 2 years now too.

Should I see about changing from Singulair then? It feels like it works but not enough. I'm still using my inhaler at least once or twice a day. Even my nebulizer, at times!

I'm new to adult asthma as I've only had it for 2 years but it feels like it's getting worse. Idk what else to do. I'm so frustrated.

• Posted

Please try not to be too frustrated, even though I have lots of experience I am also a bit frustrated now! It's annoying and nobody seems to have a clear idea what to do. The forum is here to help!

Singulair is a leukotriene receptor antagonist and there is plenty of information online.  I do not think it was an incorrect to prescribe as a first step.  I believe they like it because it's supposed to have few or no side effects and considered milder than Inhaled Corticosteroids (ICS) such as Ellipta, Flovent, Qvar.  So it sounds like you have just stepped up to Ellipta (fluticasone, same thing as Flovent and Flonase). Take it dilligently for 2 weeks and record your rescue inhaler use, it should decline. Don't discontinue the Singulair unless the doctor told you specifically to do that.

Asthma does flair up and its course can be unpredictable.  Medications that work fine one year may be no good the next.  2 years is quite a long time, and since it is getting worse this season I think investing a little time in using a peak flow meter (cheap and prescription free at any pharmacy). They come with detailed instructions and a log - use it for the next 2 weeks then call your doctor back and tell them results.  Record how often you are using the rescue inhaler as well.  If your peak flow is not rising over timeand inhaler use not being mostly eliminated they can step up your dose or add other combinations.  

• Posted

Thank you so much for all of your advice! It's very helpful. I'm definitely going to do some of the things you suggest.

• Posted

Yes smoke is a irratint I too am on the same meds but take a stronger allergy pill to prevent it. But now you know its a trigger. U might ask your doctor if u can take a stronger allergy pill with what u are taking.

• Posted

I wasn't around any smoke, though. That's why I'm confused as to why I wake up feeling like I do.

• Posted

Sounds like your asthma isn't under control if still using inhaler twice a day and nebulizer ask your doctor maybe he will change your meds

• Posted

Did you ever go to the doctor? What was the outcome? I am having the same symptoms as you. 24 year old female that doesnt smoke. No known health problems

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.